Whats the minimum raw score for KE

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kevin8

Post by kevin8 »

One thing I forgot to mention, he will be 10years and 3 months when he is taking the test(07/11/09)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

BV is an NFER exam; tried and tested ways of preparing a child for an NFER 11+ are described on the site, if you're serious about the BV exam (it's not an "easy option" compared to KE, it's just different) you should adopt that approach.

Mike
Dibble

Re: Whats the minimum raw score for KE

Post by Dibble »

I still think that knowing roughly what the RAW scores look like is important.

A long, long, long time ago KenR posted this information. I thought about these figures, long and hard. I can’t overstate how much they influenced our preparation for the KEGS exam.

[quote]
“In the test 2 years ago the nominal 116 pass marks for each of the sections were only 67/100, 46/82 and 52/70 for verbal, numerical and NVR sections repectively. Much lower than normal NFER papers. (I obtained the figures from the Foundation Office).â€
fm

Post by fm »

You're right as in they are useful figures to illustrate to the child that they can miss out/be unable to do a good percentage of the paper and still pass which will be quite different to the better scholars' experience of primary school. In fact, it is often my better candidates who are convinced they have failed whereas my poorer ones are used to having 'some wrong' so aren't so concerned about the failure to complete everything satisfactorily.

However, these are not the minimum scores for an overall pass. These are the minimum scores for entrance to Camp Hill Boys in that particular year. They would be sufficient for a child to gain entry into every other KE school by some margin.

It is very much a case of swings and roundabouts with many children. I have candidates who score at either end of the spectrum in non-verbal (90) and English (135) and gain entry because one balances the other.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Echoing a point fm has made in the past I think, children are not good judges of how well they've done in an exam. So the issue is not whether they work on even though they know they are getting many answers wrong (they won't know). The issue is whether they cope with the time pressures which make the exam feel harder than anything they're used to. They will almost certainly run out of time in some sections. (As far as I understand CEM's philosophy, processing speed is a major component of their assessment and the exam is designed to be impossible for most children to finish.)

Mike
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

DD
Dibble

RAW scores and outcomes (random ticking?)

Post by Dibble »

fm wrote:
However, these are not the minimum scores for an overall pass. These are the minimum scores for entrance to Camp Hill Boys in that particular year. They would be sufficient for a child to gain entry into every other KE school by some margin.
It’s been such a long time that I had to go back and check your facts there, fm - of course, you’re right. My shock at those figures is renewed! And I’m almost right back at an old hobby horse of mine – now’s not the time though :-)
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

mike1880 wrote:Echoing a point fm has made in the past I think, children are not good judges of how well they've done in an exam. So the issue is not whether they work on even though they know they are getting many answers wrong (they won't know). The issue is whether they cope with the time pressures which make the exam feel harder than anything they're used to. They will almost certainly run out of time in some sections. (As far as I understand CEM's philosophy, processing speed is a major component of their assessment and the exam is designed to be impossible for most children to finish.)

Mike
I'd agree that it's the time factor which is perhaps the key issue for the KE exam.
kefew

Post by kefew »

Mike 1880 Wrote
[So the issue is not whether they work on even though they know they are getting many answers wrong (they won't know). The issue is whether they cope with the time pressures which make the exam feel harder than anything they're used to]
I wholeheartedly agree with this - my DD came out of the exam in floods of tears having worked through the last two/three sections crying. In hindsight she had been aiming for almost all questions right and the fact that this wasn't happening caused a panic.

I wish I'd had KenR's raw scores as I would have stressed (and stressed again) that she should expect to be losing a quarter of the marks or missing out some of the questions. Instead she was trying to repeat her experience with home tests and in her view failing. As it happened she did complete the paper even with the panic and did pass but had she been forewarned she wouldn't have had that distress or lost valuable time.
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

kefew.. my d didn't express much emotion of the day of the test but was upset the following day thinking retrospectively about her perceived performance. I had stressed to her before sitting the test to just keep going and not to give up. I do fear that if I had said not to worry if you can't do a lot of the paper or get anywhere near to finishing she may well have taken her foot off the pedal, so to speak. When my son sites the test this year I'll give him the same advice, but like everything I guess it's down to each child's personality as to how well they cope with the pressure. My d was very calm on the day and seemed v relaxed. My son is already getting anxious...

Just re read your post kefew, and wouldn't wish your poor d's experience on any child. She did extremely well to get into CH after carrying on thru' the distress and tears.. it must have been awful for all of you when she came out of the exam. I wish her all the very best for secondary.
regards clarendon
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now