Funding & Bucks Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Booklady

Re: Funding & Bucks Schools

Post by Booklady »

I have written to all the contacts we got. I do think funding should be equalised in general - apart from thos who clearly need more.

Seems in our area though its partly an argument between primary and secondary if you read the minutes. Many very small primarys receive disproportionate funding.

Not sure of all the solutions though!! :roll:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Many very small primarys receive disproportionate funding
Not really - there are costs in running a school no matter how many children attend it. So all schools receive a chunk of money before the 'per capita' funding is added ... it has always been that way. What is perhaps different is the number of small village schools which many people seem to like for their children.

What is the solution then? Secondaries has always had more money 'per capita' (the AWPU - age weighted pupil unit) and much of the debate is because of the impact of funding cuts to sixth fund (ie funding them the same as colleges).

Becoming an academy also had funding issues which some schools did not realise e.g. having to pay for 11+ testing.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Playing devils advocate here but when I see the numbers of administrative staff and TAs in schools these days I find it hard to have sympathy with the inadequate funding plea.

The primary school my DC attended in Wales has a teaching head, one day off for admin, and a part time secretary. The one they attended in England had non-teaching head plus a secretary, same size schools. Similarly the school my boys attended in France had teaching head, one day off for admin, and one part-time secretary, granted much of the running is done centrally in France which is not always ideal. Here similar school has non-teaching head, admissions officer, secretary, bursar. Secondary schools seem to be the same.

On top of that the school in Wales very rarely asked me to pay for stuff and the school in France only once a year to supplement a four day trip.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm inclined to agree Tolstoy. We had no TAs at all when I began teaching ... now every primary class seems to have at least one.
pippi

Post by pippi »

All children have their individual issues, challenges and aspirations which need to be supported by their school. All young people deserve and have a right to receive equality of funding to enable schools to deliver a full and appropriate academic and co-curricular programme.
So the Pupil Premium next?
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Just had a reply - with an attached spreadsheet - from Mike Appleyard.
No increased funding for secondary is my take out.

See below:

Dear Parent or Guardian,

Briefing on School Funding

I am sending you this note to clarify how we have reached the final position with regard to funding for all schools. We recognise that schools are not funded as well as those in other parts of the country, but Bucks does not receive the same level of grant from Govt. We have also not had any increase in funding for Special Needs or Early Years, and are challenging the bodies who decide the funding levels for these areas.

The County Council finds itself in a very difficult financial position, where it can either ignore the needs of children with Special Needs and Early Years, or fund schools which are performing extremely well. I have decided to support Early Years and Special Needs, and the decision of the Schools Forum (see below), but promised that if (when) we receive any money to fund these underfunded areas, that money will be targeted at schools budgets.

I am as troubled as all of you, but am required to make a decision in the best interests of all children and young people. May I apologise for the delay in sending you this response, but it has taken longer than I expected to meet people and to get the numbers properly checked and set out.

I hope the following notes help to explain the funding formula, and the table attached sets out the way the formula works in terms of allocations to different schools.

Schools Funding

The County Council as the Education Authority is responsible for schools standards across all schools in the County including Academies. It is also responsible for developing the School Funding formula for Bucks schools. The work is done through the Statutory Schools Forum which is made up of headteachers, Governors for all types of mainstream schools and Early years providers. This work is supported by Finance and Education officers from the Council.

School funding is complex and there is no national funding formula. The Forum can use a number of factors to develop a schools budget.

The budget is made up of three blocks - schools block,

- early years block for children aged under 5, and,

- high needs block – resources for children with special needs

The Government only gave increased amounts of resource to the schools block but no increase in early years or high needs.

The Council has significant pressures in these areas, and although Government has committed to reviewing these blocks, this will not resolve the issues for 15/16. The outcome summary of the funding is set out on the next sheet.

Schools Block

For 2015/16 the Council has received £264m schools funding and an additional fair funding £17.5m in the schools block. This means that the average Buckinghamshire funding for each pupil has increased from £4,040 to £4,297(6.4% increase)

However the national average is now £4,611 (7% higher) and some authorities received signficantly higher amount e.g. Slough £4,854 (13% higher)

Buckinghamshire is therefore unfairly funded by central government for education

The County has high standards in our Secondary Schools with attainment at 69% of pupils achieving 5 or more A*-C grades at GCSE including English and Maths, which is 6th best nationally. There is, however, a challenge in terms of performance in some Upper schools – three schools are below the Government’s floor standards and 50% are schools which OFSTED assess to Require Improvement or are Inadequate. There is a need to improve aspirations and standards in these schools and we are addressing these concerns.

Funding was required to strengthen and sustain educational improvement for pupils with low attainment prior to entering these schools, and the Govt. requires us to close the attainment gap between children qualifying for Free School Meals (most of whom are located in Upper schools), and all other children.

Early Years Block

Early Years providers, who are mainly independent businesses, have not had an increase in 5 years and the Annual Survey indicates that the situation is critical with the risk of providers closing their provision. There is a statutory duty to deliver sufficient early years provison across the County. Schools Forum agreed this is a significant issue and supported a 10p increase per child per session/hour. This cost £500,000

High Needs Block

The Council is having significant difficulties in secure sufficient funds to meet its obligations to children and young adults with Special Education Needs. Changes to the new Code of Practice and funding arrangements have introduced significant pressures. The Council is at the point of issuing a Letter Before a_ction (as part of a Judicial Review) of the Education Funding Agency (EFA) for failing to provide sufficient funding to meet the needs of children. It was agreed at Schools Forum that these pressures had to be met, as vulnerable children would be placed at risk in terms of their education. These pressures cost the schools block £1.8 million. This money will be returned if the Council is successful in recouping money from the EFA.

Schools Forum met on 2nd December 2014 and agreed the recommendations set out above which became subject to a Cabinet Member decision.

The Dispute

A number of Grammar schools were unhappy about funding Early Years, High Needs and an increase in prior attainment funding from the Schools budget, but the Council had no alternative, as funding was not increased in those blocks. They also did not support the targeting of funding to Upper Schools. Some school wrote to parents expressng their frustations and advised them to lobby members.

The Cabinet Member and Service Director met with Grammar school heads on 21st January and 23rd January to explore further their concerns and with Upper School heads on the 23rd January. These have been considered and a further detailed review of Secondary funding has been agreed in 2015/16 for implementation in 2016/17. The recommendations of the Schools Forum will be implemented as agreed.

Yours Sincerely

Mike Appleyard

Cabinet Member for Education & Skills
pippi

Post by pippi »

A number of Grammar schools were unhappy about funding Early Years, High Needs and an increase in prior attainment funding from the Schools budget, but the Council had no alternative, as funding was not increased in those blocks. They also did not support the targeting of funding to Upper Schools.
So basically the grammar schools think they're more deserving than the categories above?
The letter we got from WHS had this statement:
All young people deserve and have a right to receive equality of funding to enable schools to deliver a full and appropriate academic and co-curricular programme.
Am I only the only one who finds that this statement a bit crass? There is no such "right" (otherwise the pupil premium would be illegal).
You have the opportunity to influence this decision by contacting the county councillors listed below and expressing your concerns. We urgently need your support.
So come all you sharp elbowed parents...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now