Prestwood admissions to Challoners High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by 40 »

niether are we! far from it. have sent you a pm
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

We're in the same boat. I was really hoping there was going to be some hope! Guess there are not going to be any places for Ooc :(
A bit deflated...
Ricky

Post by 40 »

Come on chin up! we have months ahead of us yet & anything can happen! Which school did you get, sorry cant remember.
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Hi 40, I've sent you a pm - I think :?
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

We are lucky and have 'just' got into Dr Challoners Grammar School - however a boy four doors away did not get in at first round of allocations. I was hoping he would get in on the second round over Easter but he is devastated to find he is only 7th on the waiting list. I guess from that the distance will not have moved at all from initial allocation and virtually everyone must have accepted their places.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

bucks mum1 wrote:We are lucky and have 'just' got into Dr Challoners Grammar School - however a boy four doors away did not get in at first round of allocations. I was hoping he would get in on the second round over Easter but he is devastated to find he is only 7th on the waiting list. I guess from that the distance will not have moved at all from initial allocation and virtually everyone must have accepted their places.
Incredible - that would suggest either that a significant number of applicants have recently moved into the catchment area or at least within the distance allocated, or that there are a number of applicants located at a distance calculated between your neighbour's address and your own. :shock: :?
Marylou
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

I can only think that some parents have decided to rent closer to the school to try and get to the top of the waiting list. It appears providing they can prove they will be resident in the house from Sept. 2009 and 6 months after that date they can use the new rental address.

Although we are in catchment, we live 5.7 miles away from the school. Hence I guess that while we got in by the skin of our teeth, other local children just missed out. We have no other catchment grammar and traditionally all boys have been allocated a place at DCGS so it is a massive disappointment to those affected.

Just feel sorry for the boys who thought the hard work was over when they managed to score 121 or more in the test. Little did we all know that was only the beginning.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

bucks mum1 wrote:I can only think that some parents have decided to rent closer to the school to try and get to the top of the waiting list. It appears providing they can prove they will be resident in the house from Sept. 2009 and 6 months after that date they can use the new rental address.
This hardly sounds fair - my understanding was that you have to be resident in the property now in order to be on the waiting list. According to the published rules, you also have to be able to prove that you've disposed of your previous property - difficult in the current market! I can only assume the council is taking a more lenient view of last minute moves due to the dire housing market, but I do think they should investigate such cases very closely since they make it quite clear that temporary moves don't count where the intention is clearly to return to the family home at a later stage. My suspicion is that this is also happening in other parts of Bucks...(hence my slightly tongue-in-cheek post above :wink: ).
Marylou
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

I looked at the Publication of Allocations booklet found here.
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/a ... year7.page?
and if I read the answer to Q15 correctly I understood it to mean that they only have to move in by September and have proof that they will stay for 6 months. A big gamble I guess but one some parents may be willing to take.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Thanks for that - I was thinking of the information for the first round in the main booklet here: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/assets/conten ... guide2.pdf

Our own position on the waiting list after the second round is far higher than would be expected in view of our measured distance. Just goes to show what you get when you play by the rules :evil: .

Here's hoping for a good appeal.
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now