Equality bill - affect on 11+ etc?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zee

Equality bill - effect on 11+ etc?

Post by zee »

Does anyone have any idea how the new Equality Bill might affect Bucks' secondary school system?

Of course it's often argued that the system can help the less well off as everyone is in catchment for a grammer, without having to pay a premium to live next to a "good" school.

But there is also a strong school of thought that the ban on Bucks' state primaries doing much 11+ prep disadvantages the already disadvantageed (who can't or won't pay for outside coaching). Is this why BCC is mooting changing that rule?

Also, might we go the way of Kent, so that 11+ results are issued before submitting school choices? (The price they paid for that was NO selection appeals!)
pippi

Re: Equality bill - effect on 11+ etc?

Post by pippi »

Is BCC mooting an extra practice ban lift?
zee wrote: Also, might we go the way of Kent, so that 11+ results are issued before submitting school choices? (The price they paid for that was NO selection appeals!)
I don't really see how that price follows - surely selection appeals are after the results are issued anyway? There is a Headteacher's appeal in Kent (I think) - that sounds like a good idea.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There used to be a HT review - it was stopped as it was inconsistent.
pippi

Post by pippi »

I was referring to this bit from their (Kent's) 2009 admissions:
However, before you receive your decision, your child’s primary school headteacher will have the opportunity to refer assessment decisions they disagree with to a panel of headteachers, with representatives from local primary and secondary schools, who will consider all the relevant information before making a decision. This can include your child’s test scores, recent school work, the writing task and comments from your child’s current headteacher. The panel will expect to see a full range of work for a child, regardless of which scores may be below the threshold. An assessment will only be changed by the Headteacher Panel if the panel is confident that the child will be well placed in a grammar school.
I see they also assess maths, VR and NVR..
(ps what was it inconsistent with?)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The HT 'review' in Bucks was stopped because there were inconsistencies - I know no more than that. All appeals are now heard by independent panels which are trained.
zee

Re: Equality bill - effect on 11+ etc?

Post by zee »

pippi wrote:Is BCC mooting an extra practice ban lift?
zee wrote: Also, might we go the way of Kent, so that 11+ results are issued before submitting school choices? (The price they paid for that was NO selection appeals!)
I don't really see how that price follows - surely selection appeals are after the results are issued anyway? There is a Headteacher's appeal in Kent (I think) - that sounds like a good idea.
I don't follow the details of Kent, but I understand the logic. They get 11+ results and, very soon afterwards, have to apply for school places, only putting grammars if eligible by 11+. If they had selection appeals in between, they'd either need the test and results earlier or struggle to allocate places by national allocation day.

As for possibly relaxing the practice ban, I read something along those lines in the Bucks Free Press a few weeks ago (but can't find it now).
pippi

Post by pippi »

The BFP article is in one of Dad40's postings at: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=9952
Guest55 wrote:The HT 'review' in Bucks was stopped because there were inconsistencies - I know no more than that. All appeals are now heard by independent panels which are trained.
And the HT's say:
Concern was raised about the apparent inconsistencies in panel’s decision making. A discussion took place with examples of the inconsistencies.
A Mum

Post by A Mum »

Sorry to butt in and if I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick I apologise, but just wanted to make sure that anyone from Kent did not think they would not be allowed to appeal when they do have that right.

In Kent we do know the Kent test results before we fill in the CAF form but you still can apply to a Grammar school even if your child has not reached the required mark. You will not be offered a Grammar school on allocation day but you are then able to take your case to appeal even if there has been a head teachers review.

Things are different in the Medway area where a failed Head Teachers review can mean no further appeal will be allowed although there are circumstances when you are allowed to appeal again.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

The HT 'review' in Bucks was stopped because there were inconsistencies
Although of course HTs can still have a huge influence on the Appeals process even if they have never personally taught the child or, seemingly, know very much about them at all.

And Appeal panels may be trained, but they still feel able to pass judgment on matters of which they have no understanding, sadly.

Any move to make the Appeal system less subjective should be warmly welcomed.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now