Grammar School Vacancies

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Not a myth but someone stated that some grammar schools have had vacancies in the last couple of years. What ones are they, what are the reasons for this and do you think they will be filled given the current climate? Thanks! :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes there have been vacancies at Burnham GS, Sir Henry Floyd GS, Chesham High and sometimes other schools e.g. Aylesbury High, Beaconsfield High.

For the first three schools, the reasons are because parents seem to choose single-sex over the mixed alternatives. SHF and CHS both have newish HTs and are good schools - but there is a historic prejudice. In the past some GS selected on VR score so their results are better ... this has not yet worked its way through the system.

For the two all girls schools there have been some 'funny' blips in results which has meant undersubscription e.g. this year places at BH.

The empty places are good news for 12+ children ...
raceytracey

Post by raceytracey »

I know of three girls in Chorleywood who passed the 11 plus but didnt get a place at Dr Chanellors or Watford Girls and were offered Clement Danes.

They are now all going to Beaconsfield High.
All Too Much

Post by All Too Much »

BGS also has a new headteacher.
All Too Much
janeyjack

Post by janeyjack »

BGS is also a very good school. My ds1 is there and is doing brilliantly :D .
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I wasn't implying BGS wasn't good - I just don't know anyone with children there. :D
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks! How would you rate Chesham High and if you lived in Chesham what would be your chances of getting into Dr Challoners?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Like SHF it's on the way up - read the latest Ofsted for a 'flavour' - I know several people with children there and all are happy with it - the newish HT is well thought of.

Chance of DCGS good from Chesham - look at Sally-Anne's sticky -

Are you thinking of moving back to Bucks Tipsy? :lol: :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'm considering it long-term because of its location and I liked living there. :)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

IAS+IA to 5.769 miles

What does this mean? Is it everyone in catchment and those in catchment with siblings from a radius of 5.769 miles or the above and then anyone out of catchment from a radius of 5.769. When I lived in Chesham they were changing the catchment area and Dr C's would not be in the catchment.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now