Royal Grammar and Dr Challoners Boys Allocations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
janeyjack

Royal Grammar School allocations

Post by janeyjack »

Well, we didn't get our letter :cry: I assume we'll get a waiting list letter (due to be posted 20th May) updating us on ds position.

I've heard rumours that parents are putting pressure on DCGS to open up a new form within the new Year 7 intake to accommodate the extra boys.

Maybe this is possible for RGS? Does anyone know where I can find out numbers of boys in years 8 to 11 at RGS and how many boys have been so far admitted for the Year 7 intake this September?

Thanks for any help,

Janey
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I doubt DCGS have the space to take extra pupils - after all most of these children have been allocated a GS place ...

A friend told me that RLS took an extra group one year because there was nowhere else - I believe it caused problems throughout their time at the school - additional resources/teachers just for a limited time -
zee

Re: Royal Grammar School allocations

Post by zee »

janeyjack wrote: I've heard rumours that parents are putting pressure on DCGS to open up a new form within the new Year 7 intake to accommodate the extra boys.
Sorry to hear your news Janey.

Parents may well put pressure on DCGS (if I was in that position, I would too), but as Guest55 says, it's not that simple in practice. I don't know where they'd physically put them, let alone how it would affect timetabling and staffing etc. And whilst it may have been bad for RLS doing it for just one year, at a school that is always oversubscribed, opening up a whole new class one year, surely sets an expectation of doing the same in subsequent years, and that really wouldn't work.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Sorry you haven't had "the letter" Janey - this is proving so agonising for you. :cry:

I have to agree with Zee - the parents can put all the pressure they want on DCGS to open up an extra class, but it won't happen. There simply isn't the space, it would be a logistical nightmare for the school on timetabling and the extra recruitment would take longer than the 3 months between now and September.

As Zee says, the expectation would then be that the school should cope with an extra class every year, which could eventually amount to 210 additional boys!

As it stands the Head makes an incredibly strong case at Transfer Appeals not to accept even one additional boy over PAN.

Sally-Anne
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

I can't see DCGS creating another year 7 class, I don't see how they could go from having a 180 year intake to a 210 year intake without causing major problems.

I have however heard that some places have recently been allocated to parents off the waiting list as some families places have lost their places due to being less than 100% honest as to where they are living... That must be a difficult one to explain to the children - well you were going to DCGS but now you are not! Hopefully they've also gone to the expense of buying the uniform.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's interesting Bucks mum1 - it's usually other parents that 'dob them in' and quite right too!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

bucks mum1 wrote:I have however heard that some places have recently been allocated to parents off the waiting list as some families places have lost their places due to being less than 100% honest as to where they are living...
I heard the same rumour - the number quoted to me was 5, although I have no idea of the truth of that.

Let's hope they catch every single one - I would shop them without hesitation if I came across a case. Then their places might go to the children of people who have lived in the area for decades - or in one case I know, all their lives - who are currently not getting their first choice school.
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

Agree totally - it is so unfair and I think a bad example to set your children. I know about 7 families off the waiting list unexpectedly received offers after the initial second round of allocations went out. I would also have no hesitation in shopping someone who decided it was OK to rent a flat in Amersham purely to get their DS into DCGS. I realise this won't make a big dent on the waiting list but it will help.
beacmum

Royal Grammar School allocations

Post by beacmum »

Hi janeyjack

You are not alone, I got an e mail from admissions on friday that said they were not able to allocate any places to RGS in the third round. :( :(

They will send a letter with updated waiting list positions at the end of next week.

How is your DS coping? has he got his second preference school??

beacmum
All Too Much

Post by All Too Much »

Those poor children - what chance have they got now as most schools seem pretty full up. Not a good example from the parents.

We sold our house in Middlesex (with mortgage almost fully paid off) to buy in Bucks a few years back (and start a much larger mortgage all over again). This has led us to security of our boy getting into RGS soon afterwards, followed by his younger brother this year. Worth every penny. Oh, and I can sleep at night !!

I do know of some honest parents this year in Gerrard's Cross still waiting and hoping.

ATM
All Too Much
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now