Advice Please - Passed Medway Test But Need To Move To Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cyberpip76

Advice Please - Passed Medway Test But Need To Move To Bucks

Post by cyberpip76 »

Hi,
I wonder if anyone could give me some advice please. My son passed the Medway 08/09 11+ on appeal and is currently due to start year 7 at Sir Joseph Williamsons Mathematical School in Rochester in September. However, one of my family members has become ill and it looks likely that we will have to move to Bucks, probably the Chesham area, to care for them. I talked to Bucks CC Admissions on the phone this morning and they say that my son cannot take the Bucks Test for a grammar school place until the move has taken place. I'm a bit apprehensive therefore that my son will lose his grammar place in medway when we move, before a bucks school place has been sorted for him. Is there any way my son can take the Bucks test before the move? Many thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi cyberpip76

Welcome to the Forum, and I am sorry to hear about your family problems.

You can apply for immediate testing, but you need to provide confirmation of your house move in order to apply. Effectively that means that you must be committed to moving, but the test can be taken before you physically move to Bucks.

The information you need is on pp 23 & 24 of the PDF "Guide for Parents - Secondary" on this link.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/a ... ions.page?
The catchment schools for boys in Chesham are Chesham High School (mixed) and Dr Challoners GS (boys only). If he qualifies for the Bucks 11+ you should be able to secure a place at CHS, but you would need to go to a Transfer Appeal for DCGS, because there is still a waiting list for Year 7. Transfer appeals for DCGS are very rarely successful anyway.

I have sent you a PM.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I also noted this on page 5 of the Guide:
31 July This is the closing date for children moving into the area who want a place in a grammar school in Year 7 (September 2009) to register and be tested (in September) using 11+ tests.

1 August Any ‘movers in’ registering after this date will sit the late transfer test (in September) for admission to a grammar school.
There could be an advantage in sitting the late transfer test in that the standardisation is 'easier'.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now