Current Head At RLS To Leave In Jan 2010

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ambridge

Current Head At RLS To Leave In Jan 2010

Post by Ambridge »

DS came home on Friday saying Mr Cooper, their head, had resigned - he has been head for 3 years and for the little contact we have had with him, we were impressed, he seems an approachable sort of person who even took the trouble to email me personally when I was confused about how they produce engagement reports etc. during our first term.

This morning in the post we received confirmation of his departure, he has accepted a job in another school.

RLS has recently had an excellent Ofsted so my question is, is it unusual for a head to leave a top secondary school after just 3 years or was it just 'in the old days' that heads stayed and stayed and stayed and nowadays choose to move around as we do in other professions.

I am interested in any thoughts from parents who have been involved with the school for longer than me.

Ambridge x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

No thoughts from RLS of course Ambridge, but it is a surprisingly short stay. Even these days most Heads stay for at least 5 - 10 years, because that is how they can make their mark on a school and then climb to the next level on the greasy pole.

Was he a Head before RLS? Where is he off to? Roughly how old is he? Has he given any reasons why he is leaving?

Intrigued!

S-A
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Don't know
Don't know
40-45
Don't know

Yes, my q's exactly, but will he sit on a chair in an empty room under a single light bulb and answer my questions :D

I am hoping someone with older children at RLS might have something to say ???
jemima

RLS

Post by jemima »

I have older children at RLS - I think the head is very ambitious and will be going to head up one of the new super academies or such like. I personally loved the time when the 'real' MR C was acting head between this head and the last. I would love him to take over for the next few years but I don't think he will. I hope they can't get a new head and so he has to be acting head for ages.

I have a child in yr 7 and wish some of the staff who left might come back - the ones who really knew my children, were passionate about their subjects and were less hampered by new intiatives, change and NPQH influence. There are of course still some excellent staff at the school and I think it's fabulous and hope the new headteacher will feel they want to serve the school as a community and understand our slightly staid, laid back but 'sound' north Buckinghamshire ways.

My personal view about a school that gets 'outstanding' is that the manangement have been so busy managing things that they lose touch with the pupils and the learning. I've taught for 22 years and have found 'good' schools usually have the right balance. Just an opinion of course please don't attack. really great school and really great staff and certainly great kids - lots of them are mine!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - I hear he is going to an Academy ....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now