12+ and SATs

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rob Clark

12+ and SATs

Post by Rob Clark »

OH has heard that you can only take the 12+ if you get at least 2x level 5s in your Year 6 SATs. Is this correct? Can the LA refuse to let you take the 12+?

Can Sally-Anne or Guest55 – or anyone else :D – clarify this for me, please?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Rob

Yes, 2 x Level 5 SATs are now expected in order to take the 12+, and yes, they can refuse to test.

If that should happen, you can "Appeal against a refusal to test". These are the most successful type of appeal, because a panel will tend to give the benefit of the doubtand let the test result be the judge instead.

"Rash" who posts on Bucks went to just such an appeal last year and won.

Sally-Anne
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Thanks, Sally-Anne.

Seems a bit harsh given that most people acknowledge that the SATs and the 11+ are different types of tests that test completely different things.

So you can even appeal your right to take the test? No wonder you’re all so busy, it never ends! :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A friend of mine also had to appeal against a refusal to test - you do need to show academic ability - it's to stop children with no chance of 12+ qualifying from sitting the test.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Our friends who had a son at a good public school but who lived in Bucks had no SATS evidence and despite producing proof that he had sat school exams at 11 and 12 which were comparable with SATS and had completed numerous VR tests in school over the years, he was refused permission to sit 13+.

They appealed and at the appeal the panel were able to see that he had excellent proof at 11 and 12 that his standards were easily on a par with state school targets and he should be given a chance to take the 13+.

So all sorts of appeals going on all of the time it seems.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Hi all,
Thought you might be interested in a quick update. OH phoned county yesterday to enquire about registering for the 12+ (at DD’s insistence, lest we be accused of being too pushy :lol: ) and was told categorically that the policy was not to permit children without 2 x level 5s to sit the 12+.

I always thought this was more of a guideline than a rule so the emphasis seems to have shifted slightly.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No Rob it hasn't changed - you can appeal if they refuse. The two or more level 5s came in about three years ago.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

What a silly system!

Why not let anybody who wants a crack at the 12+ have one? Why have some sort of pre-test, test?

(NB this is an objective enquiry. DD got 3 x levels 5s, I’m asking on behalf of a friend)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Rob it's to stop applications from people with 3 level 4s or lower - they would probably not qualify again and, just as they have settled in, they would have another knock back. It would also waste everyone's time (and Bucks council tax payers money)
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I guess, but given that we’re constantly told that SATs and the 11+ are totally different kinds of tests and are not really comparable, I don’t really understand how they suddenly become relevant for those wanting to take the 12+.

It smacks of the LEA wanting to have it both ways, don’t you think?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now