Where do I start?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

how2

Where do I start?

Post by how2 »

Sorry, but I don't know where to start.

My grand-daughter takes the 11+ test next year and my friend suggested that I look at this site and another one but there is so much information to read that I am starting to get confused.

I can afford to pay for a private tutor and think that I can do some home tutoring for her. Where can I find a tutor and where can I find information about the test content? I have had a look in the Book Shop and e-papers and don't know what to buy, there just seems to be so much. Do I need to read all of the messages on the forum, there seems to be so many of them?

I know that it is early to be concerned about the tests but I would like to get started so that I can give her the best chance of passing the test.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome to the forum -

Do read the sticky above:

http://elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11pl ... 82&start=0

Read Patricia's post on here - she is a tutor -

There is no need to start until January 2010 - good private tutors will probably be booked up but you can do a good job yourself.

I would suggest you go round Open evenings in Y5 as you have time to look at more schools - they can't throw you out!

The Open evening dates are posted in the sticky at the top of the Bucks section.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Welcome How2

Another tip is, we moved into Bucks when our oldest child was in Yr4 and didn't have a clue and even if I had found this website, initially, I would have wondered where to start.

Our life line was a lady in our village whose daughter was just going to sit the test and over a coffee she explained what it was all about (2 tests taken a week apart in October containing 21 types of Verbal Reasoning Questions) and what she was doing to prepare her child for it.

Once I understood what was going to happen I then knew what to look for next in the way of practice papers/tutors etc. It was at this stage I then realised how little the school they attend are permitted to do to properly prepare the children.

I almost agree with G55, if your grandchild is reasonably bright and interested in going to GS I would introduce her to the format around Easter time of 2010 - with help from this site, I am sure you would be able to DIY her tuition but if not, some parent around you will, I am sure give you pointers to a good tutor.

Good luck - loads of help and info on this site.

Ambridge
how2

Post by how2 »

Thank you for your replies.

I don't really want to leave things until after Christmas or after Easter that is why I was looking for some information that could get us started over the summer holiday, then I could get a tutor for the whole of her year 5.

I am concerned that because the test takes place so early in year 6 and with the summer holiday of next year that I will need to think about continual help for her from now until the test.

Her mother says that she is very bright and her school reports are good. We have a good relationship and as I will see a lot of her over this holiday I thought that there might be some basic material that I could start her with.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Patricia advises against too much tutoring as they can 'peak' too soon and get fed up with it!

The demo CDs are good but start with the free downloads:

http://elevenplusexams.co.uk/revision_aid_download.php

Scroll down for the method and technique stuff and Patricia's compound words.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear How2

Welcome to the forum.

I would not start formal Verbal Reasoning training until January next year.

You can prepare in advance by making sure your grand-daughter is quick and accurate at the 4 maths operations together with a sound vocabulary knowledge.

Follows a copy and paste of one of my posts:

Do not start until the New Year, between now and then [and for the rest of year 5] ensure your child reads out aloud to you at least 3 times a week, making note of all unknown vocabulary. Vocabulary is without a doubt the biggest problem area. Codes and Maths can be rote learnt. Seeing words out of context will always throw children.

See the following link, for my list of words with an explanation of how to use flash cards as an aid. In addition there is my list of compound words [with games]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/11 ... tricia.pdf

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/11 ... tricia.pdf

There are 4 types of maths questions, they are not rocket science, BUT require an ability to quickly recall the 4 maths operations i.e. adding, subtraction, multiplying and dividing. The quicker the child can recall, the more time can be spent on codes [easy marks, but time consuming] Basically if you ask for 8 x 7 you want the answer 56, now not in 10 seconds time, once they know their times tables inside out and back to front [ up to 12 x] then division becomes easy. Adding and subtraction should be practiced using numbers under 150�.try making up games, giving quick fire questions in the car, out for walks etc.

The forum is a wealth of information, have a good look around. In addition there are many many members who are very knowledgeable and are here to help you through the next year.

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now