Waiting Game!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Melx

The waiting game

Post by Melx »

Hello everyone

I totally sympathise with you all.
I went through the same last year and have to say it was the most stressful, anxious, and emotional time I think I've ever been through, that may sound extreme but both my pregnancies were laid back in comparison.
I can only say just try and keep postitive whatever the outcome.
I was tearful on the day just thinking about that letter. It was kind of like I really wanted it to come but didn't at the same time(isn't that mad!!)
What was worse was that my son had an after school club so I knew we would not know the result until after others including my best friend whose son had sat the 11+ too.

The reason I tell you that is that I believe you should allow your child as normal a day as possible. I agree you should decide who opens, in our case we agreed as my son did all the work it should be him if he wanted to and he did.

Another tip if you have any good friends going through the same talk it through and decide how you will deal with that eg if one does pass and one doesn't. My friend and I said we would just text each other and if both passed or both didn't we would call but if one did and the other didn't we woud leave each other alone until the following day. We agreed that there would be no point trying to pretend we were estatic for eachother if only one of us got the result we so wanted.

My husband and I bought my son what we considered to be a small gift in comparison with others we heard about(a ps game) and we actually gave it before he opened the letter telling him it was for all his hard work.

We had already made sure all along that we were so proud and we gave him a certificate telling him just that the night before(I done it on the pc, nothing flash but he was pleased).

All in all I can only say try to keep calm but don't worry if your not as it is to be expected and there nothing wrong in feeling nervous, worried etc.

My son did pass and so I can't tell you what to do if the pass mark isn't quite there, except if you are going to cry try not to do it infront of your child and show him/her more then ever at just how proud you are.

Good luck to all of your children and yourselves. Oh and one other thing whatever happens please do come back on here as we are all here for you and will continue to offer advice for aslong as you need it.

Melx
xx
usa

Post by usa »

Hallo!
Sally Anne
Thank you for your advice - I shall endeavour to contact Bucks CC.
Melx - what a good idea to give a little ' well done' present before the result...........that is worth thinking about.
Good luck to you all - in a way it is exciting though.............?!
USA
newbie but stressed

Post by newbie but stressed »

Hi Sally-anne

I am sorry to hear your Son didn't make the cut.

How is he doing at his new School ? Does he enjoy it ?

i'm sure he's doing just fine...

newbie but stressed
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi newbie

Thanks for asking. He actually was able to stay on at his current school, because it goes through to 13. He's doing very well academically, although socially it isn't great because there are fewer children, and most of his friends left.

We are still in "no-man's land" really - faced with the 12+ or private school to 18. I shan't go on about the finanical implications for us, but it's not an appetising prospect. Sadly, I am coming to the conclusion that it might be the best option, as he is very unlikely to get into our chosen GS, even if he passes the 12+. Still, we chose to live here, and we have to put up with the system!

Most of the reports I hear of children who didn't get through the 11+ are very encouraging, regardless of where they are. The reports I hear of unhappy children are mainly from those who passed the 11+, even though they are not very academically-minded, or got through on appeal on very low scores. They are just not coping at GS. I think the lesson is for us as parents to be very honest with ourselves about our children's ability at every stage.

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

you are correct..

My daughter is taking Wirral Eleven Plus next week.

I think she is more than capable to pass the eleven plus but have my doubts about whether she will cope with the work of GS.

I'm really trying to get her in because the non Grammar schools which are reasonable are completely oversubscribed and will only take people in catchment areas,

So it's either go for the GS test and have a hard time with the work, or have a pretty rough school which I think she is much better than,...

catch 22 for me...But will go with option 1
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

Guest that's an interesting comment about how you feel your child will pass 11+ and perhaps not cope in a grammar school. I feel the opposite! I have an older child at a GS and I am 'sure' my younger child (who has just sat the Berks paper) could cope with the work my elder son has done, but I'm not sure he will be successful on 11+ results day.

I'll have to wait and see....

JuliaB
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now