OOC - advice would be great

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
melodycool

OOC - advice would be great

Post by melodycool »

Living in Windsor, we are ooc for the bucks schools, but have decided upon the following two for DD (currently yr5) Kendrick and Beaconsfield High.
I know girls from here have got into BHS in the past, so I'm thinking it's worth a try. Kendrick doesn't have a catchment so is good for us, but the journey in concerns me.
I guess I'm looking for some feedback/opinions since I don't really know who to ask about our choices.
We've been to see both and DD likes Kendrick more - yet BHS could be a shorter journey - (have 2 younger DD's to consider too)
Also how does the application form ( CAF?) work, wrt to preferences?
We have a meeting with the head of her present school soon, but I don't think she'll be the best help since her field of experience is the private sector.
Any help would be most appreciated.
zee

Re: OOC - advice would be great

Post by zee »

melodycool wrote:We have a meeting with the head of her present school soon, but I don't think she'll be the best help since her field of experience is the private sector.
I can't help re Beccy High, though I'm sure others can.

However, I think you're right to be cautious about the HT's advice. Our experience of OOC indie prep was that, because only 2 or 3 pupils did Bucks 11+ each year, their information was woefully inadequate and even inaccurate. Much better info on here!
stevew61

Re: OOC - advice would be great

Post by stevew61 »

Hi melodycool,

Welcome to the forum. :)

For information on travel to Kendrick look here,

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=10212

Wrt to CAF you list the schools in order of preference and they work down the list and offer you the highest preference that you qualify for.

You need to start thinking about preparation Bucks is NFER VR multi-choice. Kendrick is NFER standard format VR and NVR. You can find lots of help in the Berks and Bucks sections.

Good luck. :)

steve
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi melodycool

Regarding the CAF, you simply put Beaconsfield High down in whichever place you want to. The purpose of the CAF is that it is cross-boundary, so Berks will inform Bucks of your preference.

As far as your chances of a place at Beaconsifeld High go, take a look here:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plu ... rofile.php

Places were offered to OoC girls this year - and may perhaps have been in some years that we do not have data for, but you cannot count on it.

As Steve says, Bucks is NFER VR, multiple choice, but is 21 question types, not 15. There is plenty of advice on perparation for the test on the Forum, particularly on Patricia's "Sticky" at the top of the Bucks section.

Sally-Anne
melodycool

Post by melodycool »

Thanks for your prompt replies.
We've started preparation work with a tutor, I know I could do it myself with the help of this great site, but having to deal with 2 younger monkeys in the house and seeing how much more responsive my eldest is with somebody other than myself, we decided tutoring would be better.

So with the form, assuming DD does spectacularly well on the exams ( :D ) would both school potentially offer a place or only the first preference school?
Do the schools see the form or is it all handled by our LEA (which neither school belongs to)? I'm confused :?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi melodycool

Only your first preference school would offer a place, provided they have one.

Schools do not see the form - your LA handles it, regardless of where you live. It is worth checking with the other two LAs that they have been notified of your preferences though. (Allow 6 weeks or so before checking.) One of the LAs in this area can be a little unreliable about forwarding preferences to adjacent authorities.

Sally-Anne
melodycool

Post by melodycool »

At the Kendrick open evening last week, the Head said their were 2 forms to fill out, 1 for the LA and the other for the school.....? Or did I imagine that?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

melodycool wrote:At the Kendrick open evening last week, the Head said their were 2 forms to fill out, 1 for the LA and the other for the school.....? Or did I imagine that?
You need to fill out a form for Kendrick so they can notify you of testing arrangements. And also list Kendrick on your LA CAF.

Have a look at your LA's "Moving on..." brochure on their website most contain an explanation of how they work down your list of preferences.

steve
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

My apologies Melodycool - I shouldn't stray beyond advising on Bucks! The Berks schools are a bit of mystery to me ...

Do check that Bucks have a record of your preference though.
melodycool

Post by melodycool »

Thanks everone, it's getting a bit clearer now.