Test Conditions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MumsyB

Test Conditions

Post by MumsyB »

Have noticed the room layout topic and had no idea that it was so strict and that certain rules had to be adhered to.

Could someone please advise me on whether whispering (the teachers) that is during the 11+ is acceptable and if not what should be done? I understand from various sources that the whispering was so audible certain children could hear the names of the children the teachers were talking about and they were discussing which questions the children were on.

Some children were also told to hurry up several times which was obviously disruptive and the head walked in to see how things were going which again would interrupt the children.

I hope that someone will reply as this seems odd and after reading the comments about room layout etc and that the Admin/Transport Team should be contacted immediately I'm not really sure what to do.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi MumsyB

This was not a desirable state of affairs, although it ranks fairly low on the scale of disruptions during a test. However, it is certainly not within the spirit of the guidance that Bucks CC provide to Heads.

An efficient school would probably arrange for there to be two members of staff in the room, or at least a second member of staff immediately outside the test room, in case of an incident.

The following quotes are from the Head's Manual:
Each test should be sat at a convenient time during the day as part of ordinary schoolwork, although under strict examination conditions. Quiet accommodation is essential, but it is left to the headteacher's discretion to make appropriate arrangements.
Please make every effort to prevent unnecessary disturbances during the tests e.g. music/PE lessons in nearby rooms: building/maintenance work outside etc.
Sign to request silence whilst tests in progress
The whispering was therefore not acceptable, and the admonitions to "hurry up" were certainly a long way from the "Protocol for School Testing" that Bucks provides for invigilating the tests. The only announcements specified in that protocol are as follows:
After 25 minutes say:
You have had 25 minutes, you have 25 minutes left

After 45 minutes say:
You have 5 minutes left

After 50 minutes say:
Stop now please and put your pencils down.
If there are other parents who are concerned about this, I suggest that you write to Admissions to point out these occurrences. Several people's individual accounts will be more effective than one, even if they differ - which they are bound to do, as each child will report back a different version of events. Hopefully Bucks CC may intervene to point out the error of it's ways to the school, and ask them to ensure that future testing is administered correctly.

The issues can be raised at an Appeal (not that you are going to need one of course! :D ), and might perhaps be considered to account for a mark or two going missing. It is important that they are reported now though, and you don't wait until the appeal, because such minor disturbances tend to sound like lame excuses at that stage.

Sally-Anne
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Yes, report it to Bucks CC.

Teachers cannot be allowed to get away with this sort of thing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now