Two weeks and counting....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

:? do you think Gloucester just don't know our school exists? Possibly it's the reason we don't have an optional advisor we are in a black hole and nobody knows about us.

Head definately didn't get any results for DS1 last year. Unless he lied I had crossed swords with him at the time and he was hoping I would have to come begging for appeal help. Not so thankfully and we are on better terms again this year should the worse happen.
Milla

Post by Milla »

Sally-Anne wrote:Prepare to duck for a bit longer ... the schools will have the results in the very early part of next week, usually by the Tuesday. They have to process the letters themselves, checking them off against the master list and putting them in envelopes, hence the early delivery.
Do you know if this is just Bucks, Sally-Anne, or a sort of country-wide initiative? We have parents' evening just before we hear and I can't bear the thought of them knowing, us blathering, and then finding out bad stuff later. aaarrrrggggghhhh.
BlimeyG'vnor

Post by BlimeyG'vnor »

Oh boy! Quite hard to duck when parents' evening is a couple of days before. That's me sorted for the next few days then. Only a short amount of time to perfect my body language skills!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Milla wrote:Do you know if this is just Bucks, Sally-Anne, or a sort of country-wide initiative?
I only know what happens in Bucks Milla - sorry I can't be of more help.
Milla

Post by Milla »

ah well, I'll continue in fantasy land and hope that they don't. Thanks, S-A.
Nicki6567

Post by Nicki6567 »

I thought I was going to be one of those parents who was really 'cool' about the whole process. WRONG!. Its a week away and I'm really stressing big time. It could so easily go one way or the other. He has just been invited to tea next friday and I want to say NO. But the mother of the friend is quite casual about it "whatever happens they will still want to play with their friends". I don't want to be paraoid, but I will be at the gates to grab the letter and take it home, and have every intention of waiting until 6.30 to open it. (ssshhhhh..... bet I don't!)
BlimeyG'vnor

Post by BlimeyG'vnor »

You sound quite cool to me. Round a friend's house on results day is a lovely touch of "normality!" Well done - hope I stay as level headed as you.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Some general advice from a veteran who has waited for more letters than she cares to think about throughout this process, mine and those of good friends.

:: When it all gets to be too much over the next week, do something else instead - something that will totally occupy your mind. It may be something as banal as sorting out the sock drawer (see Rehab), but it will help.

:: Avoid the teachers next week, and especially the Head, if you can. You will read everything into their slightest glance, and it is simply the route to insanity!

:: Plan what you are going to do on results day. If you have the choice, spend the day with someone who has no experience of the 11+ at all. Whatever you do, plan something for that day. Waiting for 3.30pm or 4pm and clock-watching is the route to madness.

:: When your DC comes out of school DO NOT open the letter on school premises. No matter how much it hurts (and it nearly killed me on both occasions) get home before you open the letter. That preserves your DC's dignity (if it is bad news) and also prevents them whooping around the playground in the face of other less fortunate children, if it is good news.

:: Discuss with your child how they will react on Monday morning to having qualified or otherwise. Look carefully at how they will cope. If your child has qualified, discuss with them how they will talk to children who have not been successful.

Lastly, please do not post scores on this site. Any score above 121 is totally irrelevant for the allocation of places in Bucks. To post a score above 121 is simply boasting and will not receive a good reception.

I wish you all luck and I have my fingers crossed!

Sally-Anne
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Good advice about what to do to get through the next week Sally-Anne

We have a parents evening next week so avoiding teachers and Heads will be difficult but it will stop me veering into unsafe territory
Have downloaded some cool tunes to my ipod and I am filling the week with things to do, to stop me brooding. Trouble is worrying makes me ill
I have saved a book I've wanted to read for a while for next week
Expect I'll do some more tidying as well :shock: book sounds better though :)
I hadn't thought about talking through how the children will behave when back at school - very good idea
Still we're nearly there, so that's good
Bagpuss
Tree

Post by Tree »

i'm at work next friday 8 till 7 so i will miss everything i thought that might make it easier but i think it might actually be worse. :(

I am relying on a txt from my daughter(14) to let me know :roll:

I didn't realise that the school know the result a few days before that does make our daughters parents eveing 2 days before the result 3 yrs ago make more sense now.

oh well good luck everyone
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now