VERY LATE TESTER

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tree

Post by Tree »

hi midget man

I think confidence is the most important thing to achieve in the last few days so i would practice easier questions and mark umm "generously" to boost this, probably more valuable than anything else

all the best of luck
Charl39

Post by Charl39 »

Hi Midgetman

I just wanted to say good luck to you & your son. I've read your story and really feel for you, your child is lucky that his mother is so committed to him having the best start. I really hope you get the results you are hoping for.
Charl39
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

We also started 11+ preparation relatively late with DD1 (likewise very small for her age at the time, and an August baby), but fortunately she turned out to have a knack for VR and passed with enough of a surplus to win a place back in the days when score counted over distance. We only decided to put her in for it once we realized there weren't any essays involved! :lol:

Good luck to your DS.
Marylou
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

That's great Marylou, I have to stop myself going over the "If only I had known earlier" scene!!

You are all a lovely bunch, your kind word's have been very nice to hear when I am more stressed and worried than I have ever been :lol:

Just to say that I am actually a SHE, my name is Charlie but my son's nickname is midget man so hence the forum name :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

A SHE ...
... called Charlie ...
... with a Forum name that is Midget Man.

This place just gets curiouser and curiouser every day, doesn't it? :lol:

A good strategy not doing lengthy papers this week Charlie - kids can burn out and lose interest very suddenly at this stage. I also agree with Tree - any tests that he does this week should be marked very lightly. Some more key tips from me that can make a real difference when you are in a hurry would be:

1. Make sure that he is using both hands constantly. Boys do have a tendency to be scratching away at their unmentionables under the table! One hand has the pencil, moving from the question to the answer sheet (or to the alphabet for code questions) while the other is keeping his place on the question sheet.

2. Remember that the multiple choice answer sheet is your friend for around a third of the question types. For example, in the questions where you have to find the letter that finishes one word and starts another, you have the 5 possible answers on the answer sheet and don't need to work through the whole alphabet. Always glance at the answer sheet first to see if it gives you clues.

3. As the last minute of the test approaches, if he hasn't answered all the questions, he should mark the same answer for every remaining question. Statistically that will give the highest chance of scoring extra points.

The results will be sent directly to you by post. Don't be afraid to ask more questions!

Sally-Anne
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

hehe on the name's, sorry :lol:

It is GREAT to see that I have already been applying no1. and no.2 so reassure's me that I am along the right lines Sally-Anne so thank you for that and I shall also make sure we do no.3 :D

Infact my when my son came out of his first test he was telling me that he was working out some answer's on the answersheet in his head before they were given the paper and then as soon as he could start he got those answer's written down straightaway in about 30 seconds :lol: It did concern me that perhap's he read the it wrong, but he said he knew which type they were from the example it gave :lol:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Sally-Anne - I shall watch out for that little foible when preparing DS next year after two DDs! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just one last thing - Patricia (a much valued and very experienced contributor to this forum) swears by avoiding pasta the night before (dulls the brain) and eating a banana on the morning of the test. You can always spot the testers that read this site - they're the ones chomping away on something healthy on the way to school. Banana sales in Buckinghamshire must also undergo an otherwise inexplicable boost at this time of year. :shock: :lol:
Marylou
Tree

Post by Tree »

A SHE ...
... called Charlie ...
... with a Forum name that is Midget Man.

This place just gets curiouser and curiouser every day, doesn't it?
and you sally anne are "the daddy" :)
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I shall keep that in mind too about the pasta, but funnily enough I gave him two banana's in the car on the way there last week because they are known as brain food so good to hear that wasn't necessarily stupid of me and that other's do it also :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Tree wrote:and you sally anne are "the daddy" :)
Aw, crumbs Tree, I'm flattered ...