Standarisation and points deducted for age

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mum

As a very rough estimate the pass mark is 86%

I prefer my children to be scoring 90%. You still have plenty of time to increase accuracy. Is there a particular type of question your child falters on?

patricia
mum

Post by mum »

Thanks Patricia for your reply.

Sorry I was wrong with my information. My daughter scored mostly 90%-93% with the Tutors Epapers other than two papers with 87%-88%.

She is scoring around 83-84% in the S. Daughtrey Bright Sparks papers. No, I dont think there is any particular type of question my child falters on. But definitely its more vocabulary she needs to have to reach more perfection. Wherever logic comes, like CODES, she is really good..........

Are Bright Sparks more harder than the Tutors or they are of similar standard?
mum
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mum

I always find that changing from one publisher to another always throws the children, they have to get use to a new format again.

Have to say I think you are way ahead of time regarding the running order of papers. I wouldn't expect to start Daughtrey until August, they are the 'most' similar' to the real thing in format, so I always leave them to just before the last 4 Nfer papers.

Keep up with the vocab work, particularly reading out loud to you.

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Hi

The Tutors e-papers were originally written for a twelve week course that ran on the Wirral.

Papers 1-8 are of a similar standard, papers 9 and 10 are slightly more difficult and papers 11 and 12 are of the same standard as the first papers.

The papers should be completed in pairs with a gap of a day or two between them. This is because no one paper contains all 21 question types. You may find that your child finds all the odd numbered papers more difficult than the even numbered papers.

The papers were wriiten to compliment the NFER familiarization pack, not the NFER preparation papers.

In the above mentioned course we regularly had children who achieved below 70% on the first few papers, but the course included direct tuition. So by the end the children that we could best predict would pass the 11+ test were scoring above 85% within the 50 minute time limit.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike Edwards
mum

Post by mum »

Thanks to both Patricia and Mike.
Keep up with the vocab work, particulary reading out loud to you.
When reading out aloud and coming across new (difficult ) words, whats the best way to make them learn those new words?
-Does consulting a dictionery at that point more benificial
or
-telling them the meaning of the words at that point verbally
or
-writing out those unknown words and consult dictionery later

Which way makes the whole process of learning new words makes more interesting/exciting to the children.
mum
mum

Post by mum »

sorry I myself spelt DICTIONARY wrongly in my previous post............. :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry:
mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mum

Don't worry, and I promise not to mention beneficial either.

:wink:

Sally-Anne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mum

Vocab is an on going learning curve, even I am still learning!

1] Expose your child to new vocab by using more difficult words in day to day conversations, I need to stoop to pick up my pen instead of I need to bend to pick up my pen.

2] Reading out loud, explaining unknown vocab, see following link, bottom of the page, my list of important words, with an explanation of a flash card system

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/revisi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... wnload.php

3] Play scrabble [ not the junior game] allow your child to use a dictionary but on a time limit eg an egg timer

Hope this helps for now.

Patricia
mum

Post by mum »

Thanks Patricia, that was helpful and BENEFICIAL ofcouse............. :lol: :wink:
mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ofcouse.............
I think you may just have accept that you are jinxed, Mum! :lol:

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now