Raw Scores and remark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hope

Raw Scores and remark

Post by Hope »

Hi all

Is it possible to get the raw scores from Bucks? and I know I have read it on this forum (but can't find it now) How do you go about getting a remark and is it worth doing? I seem to remember that you can get a remark but normally the papers have been marked correctly.

As DS did not pass we are considering an appeal, so will see some of you on the appeals section next week when I have been to see the head teacher.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Hope,

I found this -

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ght=remark
Patricia wrote:In context...

Under the Data Protection Act, Schedule 7, Section 9, candidates do not have the right to see their examination papers once they have been handed in. The Freedom of Information Act does not override the Data Protection Act in this matter. However, on request and upon payment of the appropriate fee, the Data Protection Act provides for the release of raw test scores, test papers to be remarked and for test paper analysis.

You should discuss the matter first with your child’s headteacher as we would normally expect them to make the request on your behalf.
Where provided, this information will be included in the papers submitted to the independent appeal panel when hearing a selection appeal on behalf of a non-qualified child. We expect about 30% of children to achieve the automatic qualifying score of 121 in at least one of their tests.
I'm sorry it didn't go as hoped. Best wishes.
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

If you do down this route and get the papers remarked, what happens if you get a lower score? Or is that not possible ie maybe the child put a line in the right box, but it was not right across the box.

Would the appeal panel know, when you went to the appeal, that you had had the paper remarked, and would it influence them at all?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes, the appeal panel will be told. A copy of any correspondence (such as a letter giving the result of a remark) will normally be included in the appeal papers.
Etienne
Hmm

Post by Hmm »

The information given about remarks and analysis come from page 25 in the "Guide for Parents, Admission to Buckinghamshire Secondary Schools" which came with the application forms.

I spoke to our Head Teacher this morning after a hugely shocking result, and they were not aware of this?!!

Is there any information available about how often remarks change the results or what kind of analysis is provided?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Hmm

Welcome to the Forum. I am sorry to hear that your DC's result was a huge shock.

I am afraid that Heads are frequently not aware of the nuances of the system. Sometimes the nuances can even be rather large ones!

There are no statistics that I am aware of on remarks, but I have rarely heard of a different result being obtained from a remark.

Sally-Anne
flossie

Post by flossie »

I would also be interested to know what test paper analysis involves please.