Free school transport?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Midget Man

Free school transport?

Post by Midget Man »

Could someone please advise on this a little bit more. If we were to live within catchment on the given grammar school would it be free bus transport? Or would that only happen if it was the nearest secondary level school?

This is all still very new and trying to get all the info that we can. I have looked at the Bucks CC website but not entirely sure on this matter still and though perhap's some of you good peeps on here could help me out :D

Thanks.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi MM

The general rule is that you get free transport as long as you are within catchment and live more than 3 miles from the school, regardless of GS or Upper.

Edit: This is the link you need: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/transport.page?

Sally-Anne
andyb

Post by andyb »

Just so you are aware - Bucks CC are VERY strict on the 3 miles distance and it doesn't matter whether there is a route that you would allow an 11 year old to walk on a dark winter morning - an unlit road with no pavement is seemingly acceptable (bitter and twisted, me?? :wink: )

However, if you are within 3 miles and receiving certain benefits you may still qualify for free transport. Alternatively there are usually some concesionary places on school transport - you pay for a bus pass and your child travels on the same bus as the "free transport" children.

You get a little info pack including details of transport with your allocation letter in March. In the meantime, the transport people at BCC are on 01296 383938.
Nicki6567

Post by Nicki6567 »

How many of us have just checked on google map (walking distance) the exact distance ????
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

:lol: :lol:

So how far away from the school are you then? :D
andyb

Post by andyb »

You need to use this site

http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/Jo ... heparam=11

Fill in your starting point and the destination (if you use the name of the school it is a "facility/attraction") and click on advanced options - about 3/4 of the way down change "fastest" to "shortest". This is the data BCC use to check your entitlement to free transport. No allowance is made for unlit roads, no pavements, steep hills or time taken to walk - the small print says something like "accompanied by a responsible adult where appropriate" - well, who has the time in a morning to walk 2 children to 2 different schools on opposite sides of town? Yes I do have a bee in my bonnet about this :wink:
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Thanks for that Andy. I don't know why they think it's possible to be going in two different direction's at the same time either!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now