Allocations 2010 - an early view

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Thanks for posting that SA, it's good to be able to compare like with like and it will be interesting to see how the final allocations compare with these. It's still very difficult to predict though...!
Marylou
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I've been reading this thread with interest. I take it BGS is Burnham Grammar School. Is this school always so undersubscribed and does it end up undersubscribed when allocations have come around in March? I'm interested as we are just over the border in Berks...I realise I'm probably too late to apply for 12+ but just wondered whether this school still has places and if so, why?
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Hi Sally-Anne, Very grateful for your allocations list! However, once all qualification appeals are over - well the majority - will there be another set of figures available revealing the true picture of 1st preferences as that information is likely to be the most useful :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Looking for help wrote:I take it BGS is Burnham Grammar School. Is this school always so undersubscribed and does it end up undersubscribed when allocations have come around in March? I'm interested as we are just over the border in Berks...I realise I'm probably too late to apply for 12+ but just wondered whether this school still has places and if so, why?
Burnham is always this undersubscribed, and yes, it usually has places at 12+ and occasionally 13+ as well. There are two main reasons for that. Firstly there is a lot of competition nearby - the Berks grammars as well as the Bucks grammars. Secondly it has always been one of the weaker Bucks grammars. Those who know it say that it is very good, but there is a public view that it is more like a good comp than a GS.
Cats12 wrote:However, once all qualification appeals are over - well the majority - will there be another set of figures available revealing the true picture of 1st preferences as that information is likely to be the most useful
No - at that stage we move over mainly to the allocation profiles as the guide to likely success. We do occasionally get figures for individual schools though.

The figures on this thread are sent to schools so that they can assess their year-on-year popularity and also begin to plan for how many pupils they may get in September. For example, a very undersubscribed could be having to consider running 5 forms instead of 6 - that has happened in the past, and it has serious financial implications.
MrsChubbs

BHS

Post by MrsChubbs »

Becky High always interests me as it seems that last year everyone thought that they didn't have a chance at getting in so they didn't put it as their first preference. Consequently I think everyone who did, got in. That doesn't seem to have happened this year. What a fluke!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I think that the Becky High thing was just a gender balance last year - more boys than girls in the immediate area. Something in the water?
guest666

Post by guest666 »

The figures are typical for Burnham, although up from the past 2 years cf SWB, but there are 4 Grammars in Slough with many parents playing both 11+ options. And it also loses out to parents who want DDs to go to a single sex school.

As for additional places becoming available at 12, that has been true since entry was dropped to 4 form entry (6 years ago) but last year saw BGS have to revert to 5 form entry (having not dropped the PAN from 150).
Shelly8

Post by Shelly8 »

Hi,

We are OOC (Herts) and we put Chesham High as our 1st and only choice, we are too far away from the others. Do we have a decent chance of a place?
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

Chesham High is usually able to offer places to all applicants who achieve the qualifying mark in the 11+ so you should be fine. They often have places to spare after allocation day and are therefore a popular choice after 12+ too. It is a lovely school but often local people opt for the single sex grammars which Chesham High competes with.
Shelly8

Post by Shelly8 »

Thanks bucks mum, that's good news.

The fact that DD came through the Appeal process does not have any bearing on allocations, does it?