Susan Daughtrey VR Summer course

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
muvvalac

Susan Daughtrey VR Summer course

Post by muvvalac »

'Susan Daughtrey' (author of VR books) starting summer batch for teaching Verbal reasoning to children who are attending their 11+ test for Bucks

She has been conducting these batches since many years looks like in Gerrads Cross.

Has any parent tried this tution for their child for Bucks or Berks exams (Slough consortium, slough grammar) . If so what is your feedback

My son will be appearing mainly for slough consortium, slough grammar then probably burnham grammar school (bucks)

I wish to send my son to this tution

please share your thoughts asap

I also need to know how good this tution to cover VR of slough schools.

thanks for your help
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I vaguely remember seeing a discussion here a while ago from a mom who panicked because she tried getting their DC to Susan Daughtrey but couldnt as she was taking kids 18months or more before the exam.

This may have changed but worth its worth finding out if she can even take your DC now.

A good book to start with is the IPS VR methods and technique book if you decide to go down the DIY route.
Impossible is Nothing.
ManfromMissenden

Post by ManfromMissenden »

My daughter went through Mrs Daughtrey's class last year and was successful in the Oct 09 11+.

She would most certainly not have got through without her. I thought her classes were excellent and I would highly recommend them. My daughter enjoyed attending the classes which is saying something.

They are normally held at the community centre in Chalfont St Peter

Overall her success rate is over 90% each year and she is enormously experienced as well as being very nice

One thing though - the late summer course I think is just a top up for yr 5 kids who take the full Susan Daughtrey course in yr 5, not sure if you can just enter the summer course itself, but I am sure Mrs Daughtrey will let you know
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

ManfromMissenden : thanks for your reply

my son did not attend full year course with Susan as I did not susan does run courses . but Susan told me that my son can attend her summer training. Already my son is being trained through one-one private tution at home. So I hope this helps my son.

did your daughter attend bucks 11+ or berks 11+.

do you know if susan's summer couse suitable for berks

thanks for your reply

any more inputs/feedback please
ManfromMissenden

We are from Bucks, dont know if it is suitable for Berks but i am sure Mrs Daughtrey will tell you - she is a guru on these matters!
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

sure, thanks
Denise

Post by Denise »

The only word of caution I would add about Susan is that she had a bizarre habit of using her Books 1-4 to prepare the children for the Bucks test a few years ago, and as Patricia has frequently pointed out, they are just not appropriate practice material for Bucks. I can't comment on whether they are any use for Berks though.
ManfromMissenden

Hi Denise

I have read a number of similar comments on this forum about Mrs Daughtrey's class.

The criticism is not really valid. It is true that books 1 to 4 contain some redundant question types, but these ARE NOT TAUGHT during her class nor is there any homework based on them. She explicitly tells her Bucks 11+ class which types to ignore.

One assumes that the redundant question types are in there to support other 11+ regions, but it is really not an issue.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi ManfromMissenden

Unfortunately I have to beg to differ with you about that point. Books 1-4 are at least 70% irrelevant to the Bucks 11+. I know several children who have been taught by Susan and she tells them to ignore only half a dozen question types out of the 35 that feature in the books. As just one example, in Book 3 there is only one question type out of seven that is relevant to Bucks. Furthermore, the books do not include all the 21 question types that appear on the Bucks paper.

Her Bright Sparks series of papers are wholly appropriate practice material for Bucks.

Sally-Anne
ManfromMissenden

Dear Sally-Anne

This thread is turning into something that probably wasn't intended.
I speak only with one data point but it is a relevant one (my daughter's experience on a Susan Daughtrey programme in 2009).

I've never seen Mrs Daughtrey on this forum so its a shame she can't explain her own thoughts here.

First thing to say is that the "4 books" that are under discussion here are not the sum total of the materials she teaches.
She does teaches initially from these, discarding question types she knows will be irrelevant. The remaining types she teaches from in these 4 books indeed may number more than the 20-odd that are in the Bucks 11+, but I think her reasoning is that she wants the range of stuff she teaches to be broad enough so that students can cope in the event of any surprises/new question types.

In the second half of the course the materials do focus more tightly on this narrower set using supplementary question types and practice papers.

I don't know what the success rate is for tutors/courses generally, but I think a track record of >90% success consistently over many years tells its own story. I know I was happy.

Anyhow, I guess ultimately "you pay your money you make your choice! "
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now