Susan Daughtrey VR Summer course

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

ManfromMissenden wrote: I don't know what the success rate is for tutors/courses generally, but I think a track record of >90% success consistently over many years tells its own story. I know I was happy.
90% is a fantastic pass rate, I would kill for that tutor. Does she make assessments before she starts tutoring a child or does she just take anyone interested in her service?
Impossible is Nothing.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

there will be an exam to assess the child but i think she takes every child irrespective of what the score the child gets in assessment exam
ManfromMissenden

Post by ManfromMissenden »

All courses start with a standardised assessment but it is not part of any entry criteria.

According to a letter I just had from her about enrolling my second child into her 2011 courses in addition to the 90% pass rate each year since 1988 "up to 70% of students.. achieve scores over 130 ...and at least 17% (18% in 2009) ..achieved the top score of SAS 141".

Her courses are somewhat "under the radar" I think. She manages to fill them each year by word of mouth (this is how I heard of her), she doesn't have a website or market them actively.

The kids love her as well, she manages to keep it fun and is very encouraging. If we decide to put our second child through the 11+ we will most certainly enrol again with her.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

sherry_d wrote:90% is a fantastic pass rate, I would kill for that tutor. Does she make assessments before she starts tutoring a child or does she just take anyone interested in her service?
For weekly tutoring there is an initial assessment and then a further assessment part way through. At that stage she is pretty frank with parents whose children she believes are borderline or unlikely to pass and some drop out.

Perhaps the key point about Susan and similar "big set ups" like hers is that tuition is in classes of 20. That is not for every child by any means. Large class sizes tend to be best suited to children who would probably get through the 11+ with reasonable ease, and the parents are tending to use a tutor as a safety net.

It is absolutely essential to consider how your child learns best and then find tutoring that is a good match for that. Some children are best with 1-2-1, others work best in small groups. Horses for courses. It is also worth remembering that 1-2-1 is not necessarily more expensive. Most 1-2-1 tutors in Bucks tend to charge around £25 per hour, but some of the larger set ups come in at very much more than that.

BTW, ManfromMissenden, Susan is certainly very well known in Bucks because of her publications, but she also advertises in the local press for much of the year.

Sally-Anne
dyslexichelpneeded

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

Definitely horses for courses. My sister used her for her first child - but that child complained she 'talked during the tests.' Very bright child - did not get through. Second child went somewhere else, and did get through. A friend used her for first child - got through - second child - did not - third child - has gone somewhere else. There is no magic bullet.
ian35mm

Re: Susan Daughtrey VR Summer course

Post by ian35mm »

This whole thread smacks of advertising if you ask me - which you didn't!
pippi

Post by pippi »

It advertises that selection in Bucks is rather corrupt, and explains why. Is that what you mean?
ManfromMissenden

Post by ManfromMissenden »

I would agree with that!

Seems to me like 11+ success is mainly a function of how much time/money parents are willing to spend, not at all what was intended
Anyhow, maybe thats another topic....
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

In the BBC survey last year it was reported that 80% of successful candidates in Bucks (stressing that it was not a representative sample as most schools refused to participate) had had some form of coaching, so yes, it would appear that most children who pass have have had some help along the way.

Paying the most, doesn't guarentee success though.

A tutor I know runs summer holiday courses. Four days, £180, with 5 kids in a group. Success rate - 35%! (Mmmm - £900 for four days starting at 10.00am and finished by 3.00pm - nice!)

Other tutors will claim 100% success rates. That's easy to achieve. Just give the kids an 11+ practise paper of equivalent (or harder) level than the real test. If they pass, take on the kids and take the credit when they would have passed anyway!

Actually, what I meant is that advertising is not allowed on this forum. However, there are apparent exceptions to this and SD seems to be one of them. Some reading this thread will think this is not for my child. Others will think it might work for them. The existence of the debate raises the profile of the tutor. Personally, I think the mods should have stamped on this from the beginning, or has there been a change in the party line.

Wouldn't be too difficult to start a debate on others tutors which would raise their profiles in the guise of 'informed debate'.

Me? Cynical?
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

this thread is started by me, i am a parent who lives in langley and this thread is not an adv.

i started thread to get feedback about SD's tutoring

hope this helps

thx