OOC testing in own school no longer allowed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Marylou

OOC testing in own school no longer allowed

Post by Marylou »

Just a warning to anyone OOC planning to register their child for 11+ testing in Bucks from this year onwards - it is no longer permitted for non-Bucks schools to administer the tests unless they are an official "partner school". This is presumably due to the paper leaking fiasco last year. The test will be held "at a central testing venue" (presumably Aylesbury?) during the October half term. I have my own thoughts on the matter :evil: but this isn't really the place.

More details here:
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/a ... tests.page?
Marylou
Etienne

Re: OOC testing in own school no longer allowed

Post by Etienne »

Well spotted, Marylou.

I'm sure you're right - the tightening up is a direct consequence of last year's incident. (I suspect there may have been incidents before, although none as serious as this.)
Etienne
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Etienne wrote:Well spotted, Marylou.

I'm sure you're right - the tightening up is a direct consequence of last year's incident. (I suspect there may have been incidents before, although none as serious as this.)
I was actually told about it today by someone whose child is taking the test this year, and followed it up by checking the website. I assume the decision was taken at the most recent Admissions Committee meeting. It seems so unfair to penalise all those schools that have always done everything by the book and are very careful with the papers. I also know that there are schools that are not as conscientious, but Bucks CC never seemed to be particularly bothered about chasing them up - so last year's incident was just waiting to happen, imo.
Marylou
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Am surprised by this and think it is a shame that 1 school's errors have led to less choice for OOCs. Both my DCs have taken 11+ as OOCs, 1 in Aylesbury and 1 in local school - 1 chose not to do tests in local school as no friends were doing it, the other preferred familiar surroundings regardless. Must say DC taking test in Aylesbury found the whole process extremely nerve-wracking - environment totally unfamiliar and didn't know another soul - makes testing days so much harder than for in-catchments.
However, I think taking tests on different dates leaves the way open to problems. Bucks should allow all schools to administer the tests but they should all be taken on the same set days. OOC schools are just as able to administer tests as in-catchment or partner schools - am sure in-catchment have had problems in the past too - they may not administer so many 11+ papers but most have done it before and each year they administer other tests under strict rules.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Cats12 wrote: Bucks should allow all schools to administer the tests but they should all be taken on the same set days.
This was the general opinion in our school and I can't understand why it wasn't considered as an option. If the tests clashed with something important at the school (which, when all is said and done, is not part of the Bucks system) then the candidates would still have the option of sitting them at half term.
Marylou
smi1617

Post by smi1617 »

I am new to this so please forgive me if I am asking a silly question!
Having read other posts I can now see what has happened last year with the paper being taken home by a school in error.
I just wonder how County will cope with testing all the extra OOC children. Someone said it is always very full and sometimes spills into two consecutive Saturdays.
Is all the hoo haa because the paper is the same as sat in Bucks schools as is used two weeks later at County in half term?
Many thanks
smi1617

Post by smi1617 »

PS sorry said I was new to this!
meant to say I heard testing can spill into two consecutive Saturdays in November.
Also will it be possible do you think to get familiarised with the venue County use in half term to help calm an OCC child?
Thanks again!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

smi1617 wrote: Also will it be possible do you think to get familiarised with the venue County use in half term to help calm an OCC child?
Thanks again!
I was wondering this. We know someone who is taking the test centrally this year and I was considering asking if we can accompany them to the venue just so that DS can get a glimpse of what goes on for next year...but this might well have the opposite effect and put him right off, especially as we won't have started familiarization yet. :(

At least DS has now had plenty of warning that he won't be sitting the test in a familiar room with a friendly face and a biscuit at the end, and seems ok about it (I think we'll have to find a substitute treat for afterwards! :roll: :wink: )

To answer your other question - yes, the paper is the same.
Marylou
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

Will they still familiarise the children within the schools and then just do the test elsewhere?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

newgirl wrote:Will they still familiarise the children within the schools and then just do the test elsewhere?
Schools that are "outside the system" (i.e. OOC and not a "partner school") do not familiarize or prepare the children in any way. The parents have to arrange this. The schools merely administer the tests as instructed by Bucks CC.
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now