Bucks grammar system - a few questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Re: Bucks grammar system - a few questions

Post by Sally-Anne »

Etienne wrote:
All places were allocated by score until 2005, when the system changed to distance.
My recollection is that score used to be the tie-breaker for grammar schools in Bucks (the final criterion). but my memory may be failing ..... :)
Yes, I worded that extremely badly! :oops:

You are entirely correct Etienne.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sorry, still not clear if any Bucks grammars have ever selected on score rather than distance (I'm talking about the main gist of their admissions policies, not tie-breakers etc). Thanks
andyb

Post by andyb »

mystery wrote:Sorry, still not clear if any Bucks grammars have ever selected on score rather than distance (I'm talking about the main gist of their admissions policies, not tie-breakers etc). Thanks
Yes at least one Bucks grammar school used to select on score but the practice stopped many years ago. Now you just need to score 121 to secure a place (or win a selection appeal).
cherrypicker

Bucks grammar system - a few questions

Post by cherrypicker »

If a child scores 121 does that mean he is guaranteed a place in a grammar school?

Is the 121 scored based on the test itself or is it standardised on the basis of places available?

Is is the case a 121 score is the first stage.
Then all criteria such as distance is considered?

What is the flow?

Considered for place
Score 121+ ------------------------> Then what? Distance, scores etc
|
|
|
No place
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

If the child lives in Bucks then a score of 121 guarantees a GS place. The score is based on the test and not on places available, and the pass rate can vary by a few points each year.

The admissions criteria are explained in the Bucks Secondary brochure which you can download here: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/a ... ndary.page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? and are primarily distance.
cherrypicker

Post by cherrypicker »

Thanks. But what about outside the area?

Eg if a child lives in Berkhamsted and scores just above 121, i.e. 125 would (s)he be likely to be offered a place in a GS such as Chesham GS?

The link states last year at Chesham: "Information on 2010 entry allocation: All offered."
Does this mean everyone who scored 121 or higher and stated Chesham on their form got a place there?

Sorry, I am not in the area yet!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

cherrypicker wrote:Thanks. But what about outside the area?

Eg if a child lives in Berkhamsted and scores just above 121, i.e. 125 would (s)he be likely to be offered a place in a GS such as Chesham GS?
The score is not relevant in the process of allocating places. A child scoring 121 is treated exactly the same as a child scoring 141 whether they live in Bucks or not. Priority is given to children in care, children with a statement that names the school, siblings (rules vary from school to school) and then catchment in distance order. Once all those children have been allocated places any remaining places are allocated in distance order.
The link states last year at Chesham: "Information on 2010 entry allocation: All offered."
Does this mean everyone who scored 121 or higher and stated Chesham on their form got a place there?
Yes.