How to prepare for the rest of the weeks... ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
monsoon

How to prepare for the rest of the weeks... ?

Post by monsoon »

Hi,

We have done most of the papers mentioned in this website.. Still getting 71 or 72 out of 80. Some times more.. I am not sure what to do now. Should I ask DS to do the papers again? If so, what papers I should give? only 3 weeks left and not sure how to keep it up? Whatever the papers (Walsh or AFN) the score is always around 71.. I don't know why??

Anyone has last minute tip/ help??

Thanks
Monsoon..
duffymoon

Re: How to prepare for the rest of the weeks... ?

Post by duffymoon »

I'm sure Patricia will be along soon to advise but she replied to one of my posts recently and suggested that the Susan Daughtrey papers (pack 2) should be used in the countdown to the test as these are close in difficultly to the real thing and then the very last set of papers to use would be the GL Assessment (old NFER) papers as they look exactly like the real thing but remember to still do the HIKNOS types.

72 out of 80 is 90% which is roughly the score you should be aiming to achieve at least.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

have you analysed the papers to see if it a common mistake they are making , or whether it is a particular type of question/ You could focus on that rather than a complete paper.

i
monsoon

Post by monsoon »

Hi Again,

Thank you very much... Susan's paper pack 2.
It is always vocabulary.. or at lest 98% of it. Most of the time she rush and put down opposite for similar meaning or vice versa. I've asked my DS point to the question every single time for these type of question, but DS still making some mistakes.

I just want to keep up the sprit.. and keep going..

Good luck to every one who are in the same boat as us.. 3 more weeks to go..

Thanks again
Monsoon
monsoon

Post by monsoon »

Hi Again,

Good Idea to go through just the difficult parts.. For us, it is Vocabs.. Thanks.
1.5 weeks.. Vocabs, then Susan's pack 2, then NFER... sounds good to me..

Why old NFER?? I got both.. (BTW- My DS only scored about 88% with New NFER Test paper A.. ) 85 questions.. It put my DS down, so I didn't give the rest of the papers..)

Thanks again,
Monsoon..
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

Basically the old NFER papers (11A, 11B, 11C and 11D) that were distributed by Letts are now distributed by GL Assessment. They are the same papers but are now packaged under new covers.

A full explanation can be found here

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... papers.php
Tree

Post by Tree »

Hi monsoon

I remember this time really well from last year with just a few weeks to go probably the most important thing is confidence so what i did was :

- to keep working on vocab and timing and gen technique
- not give too many hard papers
- never allow my ds to get less that 70-72 and sometimes more by some ummm constructive marking shall we say

and generally boost them up i also worked on practicing what to do if you suddenly find youself with 2 minutes left and 8 questions to answer or whatever but working on confidence is the important thing i think.

Good luck
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The breakthrough for my DS came between the last two practice sessions last year. He was regularly failing to finish papers in spite of getting almost all the questions he did answer correct. In the second practice paper he scored quite low and then suddenly (finally!) understood why he had to leave the complicated questions and go back to them - he was getting bogged down. In the end he scored v well in the third practice and in the real papers and even had time to spare! So it's never to late to have a huge breakthrough... just keep up the practice and the positive encouragement. We tried so hard not to put any pressure on that we became a bit concerned that he was just a bit too laid back :oops:
scary mum
monsoon

Post by monsoon »

Thanks again to all.

We are manage to keep going. Ds getting a bit bored now and says can't wait to do the exams..
Giving lots rests.. but still going through Vocabs.

I love this site..

Monsoon
bellybops

Post by bellybops »

Hi

Hugs & cuddles & laughter is what I am giving my DD now.... With a sprinkling of times tables in the car to school & vocab whenever & wherever!!! :D

She has worked as hard as any 10 year old could & now I think it's time to start to take the pressure off & get some early nights with a cuddle! That's just me though - good luck to all - as my Grandfather used to say "As long as they've done their best, we can't ask for more than that!".
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now