why is there no info avaliable on school 11 plus results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dad40

Re: why is there no info avaliable on school 11 plus results

Post by Dad40 »

All fair comments (I do like these discussions).

Perhaps it is more a case of: Should Bucks CC publish that 30% figure at all? My own view is that they should (but then I'm a bit of a stato) as long as they are very open with all the data.....which they are, sometimes courtesy of FOI.

I s'pose - in answer to bucksdaddy - that my standpoint is that one can't equate an average to your own chances even with the added caveat about all other things being equal......because all other things cannot be equal in this situation. IMHO even hinting that the average could equate to your chances (by adding that caveat) is leading people down the wrong path.

It's an average. It's kinda interesting but it's an average nonetheless.

Annoying isn't it ?! :D

My earlier teaser about some state kids sitting the test yet never having a chance at getting a grammar place (courtesy of their 'subversive' mum and dad) was that maybe 30% is not actually high for state school kids as long as you meet the criteria of actually doing the test along with mum & dad actually wanting their child to go to grammar school. But it is playing with stats - it still doesn't increase your own chances.
luckydip

Post by luckydip »

My DD attends a OOC small non selective independent school. Usually there are around 15-20 children that sit the test. We were told in writing by the school before the test, "The pass rate is only around 10%, to reflect the number of grammar school places available in today's climate". Last year no one passed the test :shock:

The school uses this line every year and it is passed down from parent to parent. Every parent you speak to always comments on how difficult the test is and is harder than any independent entrance exam. :o
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

luckydip wrote:We were told in writing by the school before the test, "The pass rate is only around 10%, to reflect the number of grammar school places available in today's climate". Last year no one passed the test :shock:

The school uses this line every year and it is passed down from parent to parent. Every parent you speak to always comments on how difficult the test is and is harder than any independent entrance exam. :o
Oh, for goodness sake ... :roll:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Myths & Legends section? :)
Etienne
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Etienne wrote:Myths & Legends section? :)
Agreed, Etienne - this one certainly has both mythical and legendary potential! :lol:
Marylou
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Etienne,

For myths and legends, did you mean luckydip's post ? Or did you mean the belief that your child has at least a 30% chance of passing ? :wink:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Now, now, Dad40 ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now