Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:27 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:10 pm
Posts: 25
DD is taking the tests this year. We're in Windsor and have decided on the following schools on the CAF. Kendrick, BHS, Herschel and Charters. I know BHS is nigh on impossible but 2009 had all offered, so maybe.....? We're also not in catchment for Charters but I thought it best to put an acceptable choice on the CAF than risk being allocated any school.
Do you think I'm being unrealistic with my choices?
Thanks in advance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:49 pm
Posts: 1647
Location: berkshire
Charters has become extremely popular.
Allocations for entry in September 2009 resulted in siblings in the Windsor Area not being allocated a place. They do have a 'sports specialism' and have a criteria for allocating under this specialism.

Herschel also has a catchment criteria..... There are 120 places... – Once any ‘Looked after’ children and SEN allocations have been completed the first 70 places are allocated on score and then the allocations are by proximity to the school.

There is not a lot of choice in Windsor.... unfortunately.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8200
Location: Buckinghamshire
BHS reverted to the usual over-subscription in 2010 unfortunately, so 2009 was an exceptional year. I think it could be a wasted choice on the CAF because you are some distance outside catchment.

However, if it is looking as if it might be under-subscribed on National Offers Day you could always choose to go on the waiting list for BHS then (assuming she has qualified in the Bucks test of course).

That might free up a place on the CAF for another Berkshire comp for you?

You are obviously keen on a single gender school, and your chances could possibly be better at Wycombe High than at BHS depending on exactly where you live. The ultimate fallback on your CAF for Bucks would be Burnham Grammar School. Again, you could add either of those as preferences after 1st March (again, subject to qualification) depending on how things are looking.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:10 pm
Posts: 25
I wasn't aware that you could go onto waiting lists for schools that you had not listed on the CAF....?
Surely those people who had listed that school and scored lower than the cut-off point would get more of a priority?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8200
Location: Buckinghamshire
melodycool wrote:
I wasn't aware that you could go onto waiting lists for schools that you had not listed on the CAF....?
Surely those people who had listed that school and scored lower than the cut-off point would get more of a priority?
The system is different in Bucks, because score is not a factor in the allocation of places (other than that it must be 121 to qualify or a successful appeal).

From the Bucks CC Secondary brochure on what happens after 1st March (bold type is mine):

Quote:
If your child is not offered a place at the school you wanted, you can do any or all of the following:

:: We recommend you accept any place offered. This will not affect your child’s place on the waiting list for your preferred school or your chances of success at appeal, but it will ensure your child has a school place for September.

:: Ask to go on the waiting list for your preferred school(s); these could be your original preferences or any new preferences. If you change your preferences you will need to make your new preference order clear. You can only be on the waiting list for up to six schools, for which your child is qualified, at any one time. If you want to be considered for a place at a school outside of Buckinghamshire you should include it as one of your six schools and we will let other LAs know that you want to be considered for a place at one of their schools.

There is no reciprocal statement in the Berks brochure though, I assume because the admission rules are rather different there, so you need to find out how they handle the situation with Bucks schools after 1st March.(Chad - do you know?)

If you do go this route you absolutely must make sure (in writing) that Bucks have received your new preferences by 15h March. There have been occasions when neighbouring LAs have not communicated with Bucks, although Berks has not been one of them as far as I know.

The second round of allocations is 21st April, so you will have another wait on your hands.

Edit: Melody - I am sending you a PM.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016