how are the mums and dads coping

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
logic32

Re: how are the mums and dads coping

Post by logic32 »

Thanks for being so kind bucksdaddy, I have now dismounted my overly tall horse !

I totally agree that a level playing field would be far better and lets hope in future years something might happen to make it fair for everyone.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I am so glad that everyone on Bucks manages to remain polite and sane on these issues. I can barely recall having to lock a post on Bucks in all my years as a Mod.

Perhaps you all know that Etienne, Patricia and I are watching the Bucks section, and that helps a little? :wink:

For whatever reason we do all solve our differences very amicably here, so perhaps we are a "genteel section" of the Forum?

I do hope that all the children can perform to the best of their ability in the next few days and weeks.

Sally-Anne
Tree

Post by Tree »

so why do ooc children have to take the test at a later date is there a good reason ??

and sally anne you are so right it's nice and cumfy and feels so homey here compared with the evil badlands of the 'university' 'gcse' and 'independant schools'
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Hi Sally-Anne. my husband would laugh to hear me and the word 'genteel' in the same sentence !
I hope it's just that we all respect everyone's right to their own opinion and it's a subject that's very important to us all. ( And not beacuase 'Big Sister' is watching us ! )

Hi Tree, I think, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that one of the reasons OoC have to take the test later is venue. Some OoC schools register as partner schools and can therefore take the test on the same day as everyone else. But other primary schools, like ours, where there are only a couple of children taking the 11+ obviously don't wish to participate. I have read a few horror stories of children having to sit the exam in broom cupboards / head's office / corridors.
So an alternative venue has to be found for the all the OoC Children. A school which already deals with 11+ tests is ideal but then of course you have to wait until half term when the school is free of it's normal pupils.
I suppose, logistically hiring another suitable venue for the OoC children to take it on the same day as all the bucks children would be nigh on impossible so I really don't know what the answer would be !

I'm sure there are other reasons as well but this is one I can't see an easy solution to.
loli34

Post by loli34 »

I am astounded at the lengths that some parents will go to for the 11+. A girls in my DD class has been off ill for 2 days last week and missed the 11+ test.

In a discussion with DD I said oh thats not very good she must have been very poorly............ Friday the girl returns to school - on the quiet has informed DD that it was all planned as her Mum thought she wouldn't cope very well taking the test with all the other children and therfore would have a much better chance taking it by herself her a later date!!!!!!!!!

Utterly gobsmacked !!!!!! :evil: :evil: :x :x
Tree

Post by Tree »

how hard can it be to hire a school hall say at a secondary school in wycombe and aylesbury for the same days as the in county tests and invite anyone to come from ooc who want to sit the test ??
logic32

Post by logic32 »

I think it's sheer numbers Tree, I believe over 2000 OoC children take the test. But you are right, I don't see why BCC don't even look into alternatives . And of course this may not be the only reason.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

North Yorks have the town hall, a school hall and one year the ballroom of a local hotel (the school hall was not available) - they do 2 sittings in the day 9.30 and 1.30 from OOC candidates - seems to work OK.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Sounds a very sensible solution to me ! Do you think Cost plays a part in why we don't do that here ?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

logic32 wrote:Sounds a very sensible solution to me ! Do you think Cost plays a part in why we don't do that here ?
Probably! I'm helping someone later who still doesn't know when and where her test is going to be held... :shock:
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now