Raw Scores to Standardisation Mark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Doblinski

Re: Raw Scores to Standardisation Mark

Post by Doblinski »

Nothing like reading a post like this for making one feel like a thicky.

Have had to cut n paste it to accountant partner to figure out, cos my brian hurts (yes did mean as in the snail)
Tree

Post by Tree »

i have to say even for september born 73/80 is pretty outrageous as a not pass i thinks bucks/nfer have to start rethinking this test or they are gonna get more complaints etc i have total sympathy for you evicent and i wish you all the best for your appeal
pippi

Post by pippi »

Tree wrote:
Yes, the OoC group would be standardised on their age at the time of testing.
but their data is read off the data for the in county people though isn't it they are not standardised as a group??
I was just thinking that the September born OoC children would be older than any in couty children when they took the test (due to the later testing dates for them) - so there might not be any in-county children to compare them with for standardisation?

I agree totally with the postings on the absurdity of having such high pass marks.
Tree

Post by Tree »

very good point pippa presumably they have an approach for this maybe they project a correction based on the average difference between each birth month or maybe they just bung em in with the september cohort , does anyone know??
Clare

Post by Clare »

It is crazy that a score of 73 is not a pass. I had heard previously that 71 was a pass for any birthday.

Maybe this year the cohort was particularly strong.

Hopefully with scores of 120/119 justice will prevail at the appeal.

Thinking of you

Clare
HarryM

Post by HarryM »

evincent wrote:Hi,
I'm new to the forum and like you people extremely surprised that my very bright son is not considered suitable for Grammar school. His also a Sept. babe so might help with your analysis?
On it first test his raw score was 69 giving him 119;
on his second test his raw score was 73 giving him 120. That is a whopping 91.25% and still no pass.

Unfortunately I did not have him tutored, I was naive enough to believe that his natural intelligence would be sufficient. Naturally I am appealing.
WOW, I thought my DS was hard done by on 70, (120) and 70, (115) for October born.
I presume you are talking about Bucks.
It would be really interesting what raw scores a July / August born getting 120 would be.
ash

Post by ash »

I was also surprised that my son got a higher mark in paper 1 than paper 2 - he found paper 2 'quite east'. :D

He is Oct born. How do you get the 'raw' scores?

Thanks.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Ash

Check out the following link:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=12629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Last edited by Jules7 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarryM

Post by HarryM »

Hopefully this gives more info re. Raw to Standard marks picture.
Got other twins (DD) results today for Bucks. October born 73 (126), 79 (141)
Has anyone got an idea yet as to what my younger DD will need at this rate to pass her 11+ next year as she is Sept Born. i've read previously that a 73/80 still only got 120, for someone's DC. Surely this is a tall order for any child!