Burnham Grammar School - chances of getting?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum

Burnham Grammar School - chances of getting?

Post by mum »

We are from Reading and my daughter would appearing for the 11+ exams this year. She is very bright and academics oriented. She goes to a private school now as we thought she was not finding her state primary school's standard challenging enough to keep her motivated. She is very happy now and in the top group of her class. In the LEA Sec. School preferences (only 3 allowed), I want to put Kendrick Girls (Reading) as 1st, Langley Grammar (Slough) as second and Burnham Grammar (Bucks) as 3rd, as per the distances from our home. If she doesn't get a chance in any of these schools, we have to continue with her private school(even though its not financially very easy for us). This is bcoz the culture, attitude & behavior of the students in our designated Comprehensive Secondary school would never suit my daughter or even us, we're rather scared.............

My question is: Could any experienced parent or teacher suggest me the chances of getting her admission in the Burnham Grammar considering the catchment area concept and being the 3rd option........How much really she needs to score to get a chance in Burnham, provided she fails in the first two option.

I'm confused whether to keep Herschel Grammar, Slough as 3rd option or Burnham Grammar, both are equidistant from our present home (about 17 miles). If she gets a chance then definitely we would move much nearer to the school.
mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This is the allocation profile from September 2006 - you can see what happened - later this will be updated for 2007 - 'all offered' means everyone who chose them [who was 'qualified'] got in

You need a VR score of 121+ - the decider is distance - it's all down to how many qualified children put BG and live nearer than you ...

The variables cannot be predicted - schools go up and down in popularity and cohorts change in size and demographics.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... 1902924256

Good luck and keep posting!
mum

Post by mum »

Hi Guest55,

Thank you so much............The link sent by you is very helpful and informative.

everytime I've posted any query/clarification of mine, I've always received so much positive response and new valuable information.

Thanks to elevenplus forum, its too good............
mum
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi mum,

I have posted some information about preferences and offers for the Slough grammars in the Berkshire section.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You might also find the Secondary Admissions booklet useful - it will be updated but it gives you the idea of timelines etc:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... =987793428

Glad you are finding the site useful - keep visiting!
mum

Post by mum »

Thanks to all, one thing I'm wandering or would like to know............

say, if my daughter scores really high at Bucks test, say 135 or above (heard 141 is the top score obtainable, and the pass mark is around 121), does this distance rule still applies, or bcoz of her high score she'ld be offered a place irrespective of distace or preference no....

Say if my daughter doesn't do good or get a chance in Kendrick or Slough test, but does exceptionally well in Bucks exam and scores very high, would she be offered a place at Burnham even though its our third preference and we are quite far away...............
mum
Guest1663

Post by Guest1663 »

Sorry, Mum - it doesn't matter whether she scores 121 or 141, it's distance that counts now. This was actually voted on by Bucks parents about three years ago - can't see the logic myself as if you live in Bucks and pass the 11+ your child is guaranteed a place in a grammar school anyway, and whether the unallocated places are filled by people just outside the boundary/catchment area or 10 miles down the road should not affect your own child's education. Though I would be interested to know whether a very high VRT score from an out-of-area applicant (e.g. 135+) would have any bearing on a transfer appeal outcome.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi, me again mum!

My son goes to SG but I live in Bucks, and Burnham is my catchment grammar.

I was surprised to see that Burhnam wasn't 'All Offered' as I thought it was. So I checked and 'Publication of Allocations' (first link from Guest55), effectively says up to 4.5 miles for out-of-catchement children. But the 'Admissions to Buckinghamshire secondary schools' booklet, (second link from Guest55, towards the end of the booklet), says 'All offered' for Burnham.
I may be missing something...
mum

Post by mum »

Thanks to both Guest 1663 and Catherine ofourse............

as per Guest1663, I gather that there is absolutely no chance of getting a chance at Burnham from my present residence..........so that should completely rule out my preference of this school.

Catherine, not being nosy but just curious, is there any reason for which you preferred Slough school than Burnham (you said you are within Burnham catchment)......i'm not too aware of these schools, neither i've visited any of these other than their results or league tables, so wandering if i'm missing out something that i should be aware of............hope you dont mind for my question................
mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think the Secondary Admissions booklet may be more up-to-date -

I had not noticed the difference before - I will look again to see if there are other differences!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now