The countdown begins!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

andyb

The countdown begins!

Post by andyb »

After trying to put the inevitable out of my mind for as long as possible, the dawning of the New Year means that DS2's voyage into 11+ territory starts here! It doesn't seem possible that my "baby" will be sitting the tests this year :shock:. So, 2 years of smug lurking in the background are over and I am ready to revert to panicky parent mode :wink:. Is it any easier second time around?

Happy New Year and Good Luck to one and all.
KeepCool

Re: The countdown begins!

Post by KeepCool »

Having been through it 3 times I can tell you that it gets harder every time :lol: sorry to be the bearer of such bad news on New Year's Day, but I am now looking forward to taking over from you and being the smug one (after 1st March that is) 'cos it's all over for us, except for the result!

Good Luck, and don't worry I won't be smug for long 'cos I've got first uni to get through now - eeks :shock:
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

'andyb' - with one DC sorted and two more to go (even though next DC is currently in year 4), I am already feeling more pressure this time that the first! :shock:

I do wish your DC luck in Sept/Oct and do feel for you - it won't be long before the process properly starts for me but this time I will be more prepared!!! :roll:
Heartmum x x x
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Second time round is definitely easier in the sense that you have more of an idea of the standard required.

Second time round is tricky, though, because you shouldn't discount the pressure No 2 feels if No 1 has already achieved the standard required.
KeepCool

Post by KeepCool »

Spot on! That's why it's worse IMO. 8)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

We opted for mixed over single gender (luckily DS was happy with this) so that there would be no pressure on DD or on ourselves if the truth be told. Hats off to anyone going through this process more than once. And good luck!
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Hi Andyb,
It is the Second and the last time for us, it was a journey that we have embarked on 12 months ago. It is like a rollercoaster ride that gets harder and harder. The stress of going through it a second time is so immense that I can not describe. Our journey is coming to an end in a week time, I could see a glimmer of hope at the end of this journey. Stay focused and be patient you are welcome to take my seat on the ride. With all that said, I will go through it again for my dc as the reward will be worthed at the end. The Bucks test is one of the hardest tests to take because of the high cutoff mark. Now I have experienced the Bucks test twice i feel , i may be qualified enough to pass this advice. The test is easier than the slough consortium and surrey. This year tests needed a raw score of 72 and 74 for October born candidates. There was no room for silly mistakes.I wish you all a happy new year and all the best for next year exams.
stressedparent
Old Armachian

Post by Old Armachian »

Having just got to the end of our second (and last) expedition through the 11+ jungle I can confirm that this time was much more stressful for me (sorry I know that's probably not what you want to hear).

With No1 DS it was easier to be sanguine about non-qualification and despite all the advice and support on this forum I simply didn't appreciate just how high the qualification bar is in Bucks.

Second time I invented additional pressure to ensure that I had given DD at least as much support as with No 1.

Good Luck. There is always support here in those dark hours.
andyb

Post by andyb »

The biggest issue at the moment (for me, not DS2) is the knowledge that DS2 will be 6 months older than DS1 was when he took the tests so we need to be aiming for a higher raw score. I guess this will be the test of whether standardisation works or not :? .
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Third and last time for us. Hoping DC3 won't feel the pressure as DC1 & 2 are both at GS. DC1 wasn't when DC2 took the 11plus as DC1 only moved this year but DC3 now assumes that they will all go to the same school. Maybe the competitive aspect is good?
scary mum