How did your child do compared with practice scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
conners

How did your child do compared with practice scores

Post by conners »

Hi

I have read on a number of threads parents saying that their childs scores were not as good as they had achieved during practice assessments.

By how much did your child underperform ?

Are you putting the underperformance down to nerves or could it be that the actual exam papers are materially more difficult than the sample papers we buy in the shops etc?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sean
Gorgeous

Re: How did your child do compared with practice scores

Post by Gorgeous »

Hi Sean, I can only answer re one test result, because that's the only one which gave me a breakdown, as follows.

I'm in Surrey, so different tests, but my DD was getting between 85 - 95% for NVR and always high 90%s in VR.

Her test result was NVR 70% and VR 81%

so a big difference!

My gut feeling is that my DD was a bit shell-shocked by whole experience. She is very young and was extremely nervous and I think she just fell apart on the day (not that I don't think she did really well, anyway). Hope that helps.
Last edited by Gorgeous on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gorgeous

Post by Gorgeous »

Sorry, had to edit that because I got scores wrong - twice - brain not working today!
Last edited by Gorgeous on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Hi,

I think my DC performed according to plan. In practice papers he always achieved between 72 and 77. Never higher and never lower. I dont know his raw scores in the real thing, but he passed both papers and looking at other raw scores and applying a bit of maths, I would say he scored 72 for the first paper and 75 for the second.

Interestingly the familiarisation papers were much the same. 77 for the easier of the three, then 73 and 75.
Jumper
conners

Post by conners »

Gorgeous, thanks for responding.

A friend of ours had a similar situation with their daughter. She was a bit shellshocked first time around but scores didnt change dramatically the second time around either. Her test papers all suggested she was in the 90%+ range for both papers yet the most she got on any of her papers was around 80%.

My DD is starting off on the journey as we speak and i am just trying to ascertain whether there is a need to be teaching the children to a standard significantly higher than what the sample papers suggest. Am thinking in particular about the NVR.

Sean
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi conners, and welcome to the Forum!
conners wrote:Am thinking in particular about the NVR.
If you are referring to the Bucks test, there is no NVR test, only VR.

Sally-Anne
Gorgeous

Post by Gorgeous »

Interesting point. I'm not sure. I do know there are a lot more VR resources available than NVR and we did run out of NVR practice papers so she was having to repeat tests, whereas she always did a new VR paper.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Bucks test presumably, DD mostly scored mid 70's, lowest ever 70, highest 79. All seemed assuring enough, but a disastrous paper 1, paved the way for a fail of 68 on the second...not sure grooming higher would have mattered. It was the emotional impact that had the final say. Interestingly, I helped my nephew through the same process 5 years ago...he was scoring much lower, mostly low 60's, I was dubious he could do it, but indeed he did, with a 128!! Marginal on capability, but confident beyond his means. I would concentrate on that aspect as much as anything else...good luck!
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Last edited by Jules7 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

My son actually performed better in the real 11+ test than practice papers. He was getting between 70 and 75 on familiarisation tests and scored 79 on 1st and 76 on 2nd 11+ exam (Bucks). So I think the exam conditions might have focused him more. I guess it depends on your child and how they deal with pressure (and a certain amount of luck). My DS is quite a relaxed character but I already know it will be a whole different matter when my DD goes through the process in two years time. From what my son and his friends said about the real 11+ it wasn't any harder than the practice papers, so I don't think you need to aim too much higher. Just my opinion !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now