Need help with vocabulary

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jules7

Re: Need help with vocabulary

Post by Jules7 »

I too was v. confused about the whole age standardisation and raw score conversion last year but hopefully now understand it well enough to offer advice.
One of the members "Tree" did some impressive Stats and came up with a table for 2010 which would indicate that 69/80 would be a pass for a July born but if mine and some others experience are anything to go buy you want to be scoring more than that in practice papers to account for nerves and silly mistakes on the day. My DD is October born and so needed to be getting >>90% on practice papers. All of this info is in a sticky at the top of the Bucks thread.

Below is the table Tree constructed with raw scores required to pass out of 80 for each birth month:

month paper 1 paper 2

sept 70.8 73.4
oct 70.4 73.0
nov 70.0 72.6
dec 69.6 72.2
jan 69.2 71.8
feb 68.8 71.4
mar 68.4 71.0
apr 68.0 70.6
may 67.6 70.2
jun 67.2 69.8
jul 66.8 69.4
aug 66.4 69.0
misspiggy

Post by misspiggy »

Thank you Jules. This is exactly what I was looking for.
And a big thank you to everyone else to took the time to respond. I think I now have plenty of ideas to increase his vocab (what fun times ahead I have for the next few months :? !!)
I still have another 2 to go yet...wonder if I'll still have the energy when it comes to my youngest as he's only 1 now....maybe things might have changed by then.....
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

yoyo123 wrote:try http://www.freerice.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also games where you have to think of as many words as possible beginning with a letter of the alphabet. Scrabble (allowing use of a dictionary).

try googling synonym and antonym games, there are lots of fun online g.ames to try

Can highly recommend Scrabble Trickster, makes it far more fun for children to play :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Midget Man wrote: Can highly recommend Scrabble Trickster, makes it far more fun for children to play :D
not seen that one, I'll check it out! Thank you
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now