Thread for Sept 2012 entry to GS in Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Re: Thread for Sept 2012 entry to GS in Bucks

Post by scary mum »

Don't let it become all consuming and remember that it is about your child not about you or anyone else's child. Things often turn out for the best even when you don't think you've got what you want. Above all DON'T PANIC! instead turn to this great forum :D
scary mum
gertie

Post by gertie »

Yes, scarymum is right; don't let it become all consuming. Remember this should be purely about preparing your child for the right school for their learning style/ability and nothing else, please do not fall into the trap of putting your child under immense pressure....

DD going to GS in September after some DIY prep; also have older DS at our local upper which suits him fine....he is very able (middle of GCSE's, parents eve yesterday) but takes just that little bit longer to grasp certain concepts/not so confident as his younger DD. He's in top sets, coping well and forecast A's/B's across all subjects; we always felt his confidence would be crushed and he'd have given up hope had he gone to GS, so happy with our choice. Choosing a school where your DC will thrive and also be happy comes above everything else.
crunchie

Post by crunchie »

This is my third DD to go through 11+ this October. Two older DD's did not qualify, one at upper school, one at independent. Both doing well. First DD at upper school got 10 GCSE's A-C grades. Second DD just got A* on maths module so as you can see not qualifying is not the end of the world. Grammar school does not suit all children as some actually do far better in an upper school environment. Third DD Grammar school material, very able and committed.
Priyal

Post by Priyal »

I m also here sorry to join u all bit late. Yes it does sound scary my DD is also doing ips & nfer, still struggling with the school options to choose as so many has catchment now. Has anyone preparing for Wellington & nonsuch girls grammer school?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Has anyone preparing for Wellington & nonsuch girls grammer school?
These schools aren't in Buckinghamshire, so you might have more luck in the appropriate region (or Indie section?). Good luck to your DD!
scary mum
lexym

Post by lexym »

Hi, I'm with you all too. Looking forward to sharing lots of tips. :)
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Hi

I am new on here and have my eldest DS taking his 11+ this year. It is all very stressful but trying hard not to worry too much. Thanks for all the tips and advice on here.
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Yes I'm in for Sept 2012 (2nd daughter).

How time flies! 8)

Tutoring started last summer but still not sure if she has got "it".
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Just thought I would revive this thread. Everyone OK out there? I am at the "what will be, will be" stage!

I have a couple of questions:
Does anyone know if the dates of the practice test are fixed or whether it's up to the school? I guess as they are the same practice test each year it doesn't matter when they are done.
Does anyone know if they are old about the amount of time left in the test in a standard way? I have been telling DS when he has 25 mins, 5, 2 & 1 but it would be good to know what they are told on the day if it is standard.

"Keep calm and carry on"
scary mum
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

scary mum wrote: "Keep calm and carry on"
I started a thread with this a few weeks ago! Really having to put it into practice now, though....

I don't know about practice test dates, but regarding the time issue DS is used to having a clock in front of him and so I hope it won't be a problem for him if the "reminders" are not issued. I think there are some instructions regarding this but don't know what they are. I do hope there is a clock at the front, though, as DS doesn't usually wear his watch.

Having a few panics...
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now