Thread for Sept 2012 entry to GS in Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

khanj010

Re: Thread for Sept 2012 entry to GS in Bucks

Post by khanj010 »

scary mum wrote:I agree andyb, DS2 is expecting to go to the same school as DD & DS1...
dear scary mum my ds is achieving about 65-66 on the practice papers which is not the pass rate for a jan child he has his heart on the grammer school, he suffers from hay fever day and night and taking medication for this. im sure he is very able but this hayfever (sneezing, coughing, runny nose, lack of sleep) will effect his test.
also his vocabularly is not great as english is our second language. can u suggest anything please. its for vr bucks
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The fact is, whatever his heart is set on, he (and many others, including my DS) may not get the required result. Do his teachers feel he is grammar school material? What are his other results like? Would the school support an appeal - have you asked them? There is no point in him setting his heart on a GS if he would struggle when he gets there - he will have to learn in his second language. If he really has a medical problem you should get a letter from the doctor or look into other tretaments for hayfever, there are many that are effective and do not cause drowsiness.

With all respect, your postings sound as though you are panicking rather a lot. Hopefully this is just on here (we all do this at times, that is why we like this forum :D ), but hopefully you are not transmitting the panic to your DS. Most of us on here are just other parents supporting each other and not experts (look out for the experts, their names are in green!).
scary mum
mad?

Post by mad? »

Dear khanj010. Herm is our resident doctor so might have a view. However, as a life long sufferer of hayfever I am very surprised that your son is suffering from it in what will, effectively, be winter. With regards to your general question about what to do, how have you found the advice you have already received on your other threads?
mad?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Khan - sorry to hear that your DS is permanently sneezing coughing and has a runny nose etc etc . hay fever is usually in the spring or summer but quite a lot of people get the symptoms in the autumn from moulds and tree spores etc etc - yuck.

Need to see your GP about changing the antihistamines if they are not working -also worth trying nasal sprays on regular basis (not just when they have an attack) - also get rid of any pets out of the bedroom, feather pillows or duvets (if you haven't already tried this)..
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

scary mum wrote:The fact is, whatever his heart is set on, he (and many others, including my DS) may not get the required result. Do his teachers feel he is grammar school material? What are his other results like? Would the school support an appeal - have you asked them? There is no point in him setting his heart on a GS if he would struggle when he gets there - he will have to learn in his second language. If he really has a medical problem you should get a letter from the doctor or look into other tretaments for hayfever, there are many that are effective and do not cause drowsiness.

With all respect, your postings sound as though you are panicking rather a lot. Hopefully this is just on here (we all do this at times, that is why we like this forum :D ), but hopefully you are not transmitting the panic to your DS. Most of us on here are just other parents supporting each other and not experts (look out for the experts, their names are in green!).
dear scary mum , and all the other post, thanks for getting back to me,your info was quiet helpful, i dont show any of my paniking symptoms to my ds thats why im writing it on this thread, ds is getting treatment for his condition and is waiting to have a scan at the ent department just hope nothing seriouse comes up.ive calm down now and i can only hope for the best what ever happens but i am very proud of my ds for what he has achieved. and good luck to you all. Also the other threads have also been helpful so thanks to all who responded!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now