Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:31 am 

Hello!

I have a similar question to the one I asked in Berkshire. Sorry this not about 11+ but sixth form. I hope that it is OK to ask here.

My son has received a few offers of a sixth form place including one from Burnham Grammar.
The sixth form has a good reputation but I was wondering whether anyone had a more direct experience of the school.

Regards

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:38 am 

I don't have any experience of BGS sixth form but I know several people with dc's who are there now or have been recently. I haven't heard any complaints at all. Sorry if that's damning with faint praise... However their children would have originally gone there in an era when BGS was seen as a bit of a second rate GS (?still is by some), the fact that they have stayed on would appear to say something for the school. It would be helpful to know what percentage stay on and how many they get from other schools - maybe the school could tell you?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:19 pm 

The vast bulk of the 6th form at BGS are those who attended the school. The numbers joining from outside vary. When DD1 transferred there (from an Upper School) she was one of only 3 or 4 who did so from any school. In other years it has been rather more but AFAIK has never reached 20. Most pupils, like DD2, appear happy to remain there if they reach the required standard.

DD1 went on to a leading university having enjoyed her 6th form experience far more than the Upper School experience, but she had better GCSEs than many of her BGS compatriots

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:42 am 

Thank you for your answers.
My son liked Burnham Grammar but it is not usually rated as high as other schools, hence the dilemna.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:11 pm 

Check out their results in the subjects your DC is interested in. Clearly, if they are poor, then that's a problem, but you also want to see that there are some top grades in there.