Beaconsfield High School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
crecheout

Re: Beaconsfield High School

Post by crecheout »

Science Apron required as well, who knew you could need that much protection!!! :lol:
Seriously though, for all those who are looking aghast at the uniform list, check out the 2nd hand shop, it will save you a fortune.
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

crecheout wrote:Science Apron required as well, who knew you could need that much protection!!! :lol:
Seriously though, for all those who are looking aghast at the uniform list, check out the 2nd hand shop, it will save you a fortune.
Will def check this out. BTW someone else told me that the science apron never gets used so that can probably be dropped from the list...along with the scarf which I am sure my DD will think is untrendy :roll:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think scarves have generally disappeared from school uniforms.... bit like caps and berets :roll: . Science aprons are a different matter - may find that you do need one, ours cost about £4 I think.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I am curious about the need for three different aprons - one each for cookery, art, science.

Firstly, why "aprons"? A cookery "apron" seems obvious, but why call the others "aprons? Isn't that (whispers) just a touch gender-specific and very out-of-date? I can just imagine what my sons would say if they were asked to wear "aprons" in science and art! :lol: Surely the expression "art overall" is more appropriate? Or is that too working class, plumber's mate? And for science, surely "lab coat" is the appropriate term, or at the very least, "science overall"?

Secondly, why do parents have to supply these aprons at BHS? Cookery aprons are possibly understandable as they may need frequent washing for hygienic reasons, but we have never needed to supply overalls for art or science: the school has a stock of them that live outside the art room and the labs and the pupils simply exchange them for their blazers.

I am starting to think that BHS's uniform policy resembles that of the rather stuffy girls' GS that I attended some 40 years ago, and it needs to be brought in to the 21st century.
drummer

Post by drummer »

They are 'lab coats' at BGS and I think we pay £10 towards them?
Y

Post by Y »

They do call them labcoats, and unless there has been another change of policy, they are optional for science. In which case, don't buy one, because in the time they have been optional, no girl has ever worn one. Can't remember what they call them for DT and art, but for those subjects they are (or at least, were) actually apron-shaped, rather than labcoat shaped. And you have to sew one of those ludicrously expensive name labels on them.

Are you still required to buy an atlas (that gets used once a year)?
crecheout

Post by crecheout »

Great, will avoid the expensive science lab coat then, what a relief. Yes, the atlas is on the list, suggest e bay or amazon for cheap version.
Its so hard being a newbie Mum, we will all learn what is actually required and not required but by then its too late, wont even help me second time around as I only have 2 children and the second one is a boy!
andyb

Post by andyb »

Y wrote:They do call them labcoats, and unless there has been another change of policy, they are optional for science.
At DS's school, lab coats and goggles are compulsory for all practical chemistry lessons and as the boys don't know which lessons will be practicals and which will be theory that means they must always take their lab coat and goggles with them. For DT they are told in advance if they will need their lab coat. Maybe boys are just muckier than girls :roll:
drummer

Post by drummer »

Oh dear...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... llies.html "Girls make the best bullies"
Muguet

Post by Muguet »

Girls may make the best bullies but be aware that this will happen in girls’ as well as mixed schools. There have been changes in friendships in DD’s form but no report of bullying to my knowledge. I know this is early days as she is only in Yr 7. 2 of my DD’s friends who go to different mixed schools, however, are having serious problems with other girls so much so that their parents are seriously thinking about moving them to other schools. So this isn’t a problem unique to girls’ schools.

As for the Science lab coat, it is not compulsory at BHS. DD does not own one and tells me that only 1 girl in her form chose to purchase it. She may have the last laugh though if an accident happens and uniforms are ruined!

For what is worth our DD is thriving at BHS. She enjoys the lessons (well most of them!), the activities on offer and has made some good friendships. She has also been inspired by some of the teaching. Don’t get me wrong, BHS is not a perfect school by any means. The uniform is very expensive (the pattern on the blouses fades quickly), music lessons are also expensive (Drummer and Jules7, why don’t you ask the school if they would allow shared lessons for your DDs as it would be a real shame for them to stop learning their instrument) and there is the financial mismanagement issue. Also BHS is in an affluent area and therefore has a fair number of girls from very wealthy backgrounds attending. You just have to look at the bags and phones that some of them have. DD has mentioned a couple of times that she has the cheapest phone in her form and I keep reminding her that she is lucky to have one at all!

When DH and I talked to DD about moving her to our nearest grammar after the announcement of the proposed transport changes which are going to hit us hard DD very upset just said “But I love my school”. Although DD may have been just as happy in another school these words just said it all to us and we will try our best to keep her at BHS as long as she is happy there.

Sorry for the long post but I’ve just caught up reading this thread and thought I’d share our experience albeit very recent of BHS.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now