Beaconsfield High School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
drummer

Re: Beaconsfield High School

Post by drummer »

Thanks Jules.

The letter implies that the skirt and/trousers must be the 'regulation' ones to be purchased from the on-site retailer.

What sort of pastoral issues have you heard of? My DD is a VERY anxious child with very low self-confidence, an issue which has taken quite a bit of management by her current school.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

drummer wrote:The letter implies that the skirt and/trousers must be the 'regulation' ones to be purchased from the on-site retailer.
From which the school gets a cut, of course! I would find out what the "regulation" uniform looks like and match it from the high street. You will almost certainly be able to do so, and find that many others do the same.

If you are worried, go with the second-hand shop for the first term and then see what the lie of the land is. Most GS have pupils dressed in Heinz57 varieties by Year 8, regardless of the uniform list!
My DD is a VERY anxious child with very low self-confidence, an issue which has taken quite a bit of management by her current school.
I suggest that you ask for a personal report on this issue to be provided to BHS before she transfers.

S-A
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Drummer, re pastoral Q it seems there have been some pastoral issues in the past but the positive comments were from parents of more recent joiners so I hope that this is a sign of a positive improvement? My DD is actually feeling positive about the school and I am of course being very upbeat for her but just doing a bit of digging behind the scenes so to speak. I like to be fully prepared....One comment one person made which was good concerned the events that were arranged for the new girls to meet each other which sounded great as my DD is the only one going to BHS from her current school (so far anyway, as one of her best friends is appealing for it). Sally-Anne's suggestion sounds a good idea if you have concerns about your DD settling in so at least her form tutor is aware.

We are mulling the language choices and are considering latin and spanish. My DD has not been taught any languages previously other than a basic hello, 1,2,3 etc so we are thinking that she will be playing catch-up compared to some. Anyone any opinions on french vs spanish?
drummer

Post by drummer »

well, now that you have brought it up, language options is another thing. My DD doesn't want to sudy French or Spanish, she wanted German which they have appeared to have dropped as an option without notification or explanation!
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

It's £500-£600 for the minimum school uniform at our Barnet Grammar. Kilts £40, blazers £82.50, £22 pullovers, shirts £14, coat £94 etc......We are also expected to contribute to the building/development fund between £500-£800 p.a. Yours sounds a bargain :lol:
drummer

Post by drummer »

2Girlsmum wrote:It's £500-£600 for the minimum school uniform at our Barnet Grammar. Kilts £40, blazers £82.50, £22 pullovers, shirts £14, coat £94 etc......We are also expected to contribute to the building/development fund between £500-£800 p.a. Yours sounds a bargain :lol:
Is that private or state? I thought state schools were beholden to keep uniform prices affordable?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Trouble is with uniform that it is not spread evenly throughout the time at school - quite a chunk at the beginning. Probably about £300 at the beginning of GS inc shoes and sports kit - then the rest in bits and pieces over the years - new sports shirts, different ties, new blazer, etc.. He would be wearing shoes trousers and shirts whatever he was doing so don't really count those.

Have also found that rules about having to get the kit from certain shops don't hold much water - DDs sports kit "had" to come from school shop complete with logo - except that the "XS" tracksuit top came to her knees and the trousers were 9" too long - just ended up getting plain navy tracksuit from elsewhere and noone said anything.
drummer

Post by drummer »

Sally-Anne wrote:I suggest that you ask for a personal report on this issue to be provided to BHS before she transfers.

S-A
Thanks Sally-Anne, I spoke to her teachers and the SENCO about it as soon as we heard she'd been allocated a place.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Not Indie but a Catholic state-funded/voluntary -aided Grammar. The uniform used to be MORE expensive. DD's twin nieces gained places there and in 1998, and the uniform cost the same price as now, but was only available at Harrods. Now it's from a uniform shop in NW London (so no nice day out :lol: ).
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I understand that the uniform for BHS is a minimum of about £400-500 if you buy new and only available from the school, but I think the second hand shop is well worth a visit and well used. They only wear a blazer until ? Year 9 so buy a good size one and you will only need one. Is is against ofsted guidelines to make people buy from the school?
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now