Bucks & SEN: strategy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

markusha

Bucks & SEN: strategy

Post by markusha »

We live abroad, returning to Bucks in just over one year. Our DS2, currently in year 5, will therefore be going into secondary school soon after our return.

He has ADD, for which he has medication and which enables him to function in a normal school. He is very strong in maths and science, is highly intelligent, but has concentration, speech and other issues. I have read the very helpful discussions on this site and understand the pros and cons around grammar schools in this respect, but we want to give him the best opportunity etc etc. If he passes the 11+, everything will depend on the attitude and resources of the school, assuming a place is available at that time (our catchment schools are JHGS, RGS and DCS).

We are planning on him taking the exams in July/August 2012 after we return:

1. Does anyone have any advice about whether to approach Bucks in advance about his condition. Of course, a SEN is out of the question (although we do have a diagnosis). Should he just sit the tests and, if necessary, we can think of appealing later? I seem to recall the comment that extra time is very difficult to obtain (actually, the best thing is a stick to prod him when his attention wanders :) ). Of course, we will practice the exam situation with him, but what happens on the day is a bit unpredictable.

2. Does anyone have any comments about schools - including Chalfont CC ? I also recall a comment about JHGS which sounded encouraging.

Many thanks to the dedicated crew on this forum who have been of great support already for DS1!
Morning Glory

Re: Bucks & SEN: strategy

Post by Morning Glory »

Well before your DS is to sit the 11+ speak to county about adjustments that can be made for children with SEN and how in your situation you will be able to apply for them and what evidence is required. These will be things such as extra time, being tested in a separate room, rest break, enlarged answer sheet etc. As you have already noted extra time is extremely hard to get in Bucks but no harm in trying.

My DS is at JHGS and we are very pleased with the SEN support he is receiving but am unable to comment about the other schools.

I'm no expert but I hope this helps
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now