Science Sats

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ruth

Science Sats

Post by Ruth »

My understanding is that Science Sats papers have been scrapped. Only selected schools are asked to undertake Science Sats papers, so why are schools giving children old Sats Science papers?

Bridgewater School told children they have Sats papers in Science and the teachers are reminding children the exact paper they have. They said "remember you have 2010 paper B tomorrow".

You can guess what children do: they download Science 2010 paper B (freely available) from the internet and memorise the answers. It seems teachers know children will do this and seem to sanction this. Our darling children score high marks, so it seems the teachers have done their jobs and the school looks good.

Can we trust teachers to assess children, if it involves such blatant cheating? Surely proper Sats papers is better. I am sorry to say, I am annoyed with this conduct.

Is this acceptable conduct? Has the head got something to answer? May be I am old fashioned, as I think this is wrong.
Last edited by Ruth on Wed May 25, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Re: Science Sats

Post by yoyo123 »

The official papers would not be available and were done on the Friday after the maths and English sats.l'm not sure what the school you are referring too was doing but it doesn;t sound like they were official tests and would not be externally marked.

Telling them which paper they were to sit would also confuse results if they were just using them for assessment within . school

The extra papers were for KS2, would this affect Bridgewater HIgh? Maybe they are just using old papers for practice
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

They are not the 2011 papers. Sats is finished, but the school is doing its own version of Science Sats this week as they don't do official ones. But the children have been told which paper they were doing. What is the point if all children will do is download papers and cheat?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I agree that any results they get would not be useful.