Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:46 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8199
Location: Buckinghamshire
News just in ...

Quote:
Council agrees to delay introduction of Home to School transport charging for statutory age pupils.

Plans to phase in charging for home to school transport for new Year 7 pupils this September have been postponed to allow more time to consider and model the impact of a number of local issues which have arisen during the consultation.

The news was announced today by the new Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Education and Skills, Mike Appleyard. The County Council currently spends 18m each year on home to school transport and over the past few months, the authority had been looking at a range of new charging options.

Following consultation with parents earlier in the year, many concerns had been raised about the introduction of new charging proposals. In addition, the Council's Overview and Scrutiny Commissioning Committee had recommended introducing a phased approach which would have involved charging only for the new Year 7 intake this September choosing to attend a school other than their nearest catchment school.

However, today's announcement recognises that more time is needed to consider both the full effects of new charging and also parents ideas and suggestions. In addition, more time is needed to consider the effects of schools moving to academy status.

Mike Appleyard said: "I fully understand that any proposals to introduce charging will be difficult and controversial but the flip side is that as a Council, we still need to make substantial savings as part of the national squeeze on public sector spending.

"The last few weeks have given me the opportunity to listen to public feedback and consider the matter in greater detail. I have concluded that changes must be still be made and have already made the decision to change planned arrangements for post 16 transport beginning in September 2011. However, I have decided to delay any charging for pupils of statutory school age until September 2012.

"This is so that I can talk further with parents and schools to find the best and fairest way of introducing charges. This could affect all year groups as the level of savings required has not diminished, however the important thing is that this gives more time to find the very best solution."

Mr Appleyard continued, "I am also mindful that the pace of change in Education has been faster than expected with most secondary schools now becoming Academies by September 2011. This also has ramifications for home to school transport as the rules are still unclear in this area of Government policy and we are seeking urgent clarification from the Secretary of State."

Leader of the Council, Martin Tett said it was absolutely crucial that the right decisions are made in tough economic times. "In this case, we have listened to parents concerns and responded. It's right that we take a bit more time over home to school transport charging to ensure our future direction reflects both the needs of the Council and the views and suggestions from parents and schools."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Transport proposals
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:27 am
Posts: 645
Location: Buckinghamshire
DS2 has just brought home the leaflet "Moving up to Secondary School" and under the heading transport - "Make sure you think about how your child would get to school ...... there are new rules which you need to take into account...". Also, on the back page "check to see which are your nearest catchment upper and grammar schools. This is relevant to the new Home to School Transport policy." (Their bold type not mine)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Transport proposals
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8199
Location: Buckinghamshire
:roll: Which only goes to show how much parent power really did influence this postponement of the new rules. BCC seemed completely convinced that it would go through pretty much "on the nod".

In the light of your post, andy, I will move today's announcement to a separate thread so that people are more aware of the change of heart.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:25 pm
Posts: 77
This is really good news for current year 6 pupils transferring in 2011; even yesterday there were those at BCC who still firmly believed it would go through from September 2011. It's great to know that the large number of respondents were listened to this time. We'll have to wait to see what happens from 2012, but hopefully it will be with fair warning, better thought through and not retrospective! I suppose the statement in this year's admissions booklet will be argued to be 'fair warning' albeit referring to 'new rules' that have yet to be decided and agreed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:14 am
Posts: 97
Agree completely Mrsmum - to apply it retrospectively would have been utterly unfair.

If brought in though it will have serious consequences for catchments. Our nearest schools are single sex - the co-ed is a good 20 mins by bus, I can see the numbers wanting to apply there really being affected if parents are having to fork out for transport.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:24 am 
I will be applying for school place for entry 2012. We are in catchment for two girl's grammar schools. I will definately be putting the nearest catchment school to avoid transport charges. Where we live it is rumoured that the cost of transport to the alternative grammar could be £600.00.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:27 am
Posts: 645
Location: Buckinghamshire
From BFP online:-
http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/9085371.Council_backtracks_on_school_bus_funding_cuts/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 11932
Parents have your say on home to school transport Published: 15 June 2011

Parents are being asked for their ideas and suggestions on the best and fairest way of introducing Home to School transport charges from September 2012, at a series of meetings next week.

Parents are invited to attend the meetings, where they will be able to discuss with Mike Appleyard, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Education and Skills, solutions for the best way of funding savings in the future.

The invitation follows the announcement yesterday (14 June), to postpone charging for home to school transport for new Year 7 pupils, to allow more time to consider and model the impact of a number of local issues which have arisen during the consultation.

The Council recognises that more time is needed to consider the full effects of charging and also parents' ideas and suggestions.

Mike Appleyard said: "The last few weeks have given me the opportunity to listen to public feedback and consider the matter in greater detail and I fully understand that any proposals to introduce charging will be difficult and controversial but the flip side is that as a Council, we still need to make substantial savings as part of the national squeeze on public sector spending.

"However, I have decided to delay any charging for pupils of statutory school age until September 2012. This is so that I can talk further with parents and schools to find the best and fairest way of introducing charges. This could affect all year groups as the level of savings required has not diminished, however the important thing is that this gives more time to find the very best solution."

Those with children due to start secondary school in September 2011, will receive a letter informing them of the meetings directly. Parents of secondary school children in years 7-11 are welcome to attend as their views are equally as valuable.

The meetings have been arranged as follows:

WYCOMBE

20 June 7pm - Adams Park Conference Centre, Wycombe Wanderers Football Club

BEACONSFIELD

21 June 4:15pm The Beacon Centre Holtspur Way HP9 1RJ

AYLESBURY

21 June 7.30pm County Hall (Mezz Rooms 1 & 2) HP20 1YU

AMERSHAM

22 June 6.30pm - St Johns Methodist Church, Woodside Road HP6 6AJ

Parents interested in attending are requested to contact Jackie Bennion on 01296 387609 or email jabennion@buckscc.gov.uk to register their interest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:25 pm
Posts: 77
Does anyone know who has been invited to attend these meetings?
As a year 7 to be parent I have had an invite (though not as a year 9 to be parent, if that makes sense); has the invitation gone any wider? Next year's intake perhaps (those with the admissions booklet that now refers to 'new rules')? other members of the public who are concerned about traffic/parking issues or sibling issues or catchment issues? people who responded to the initial consultation by post/email?
I haven't heard of anyone other than year 7 parents getting invitations but maybe someone else has?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:36 pm
Posts: 188
Location: High Wycombe
My school (year 8 child) has sent home a copy of the statement from Bucks together with encouragement to attend one of the meetings.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016