Devastated son

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kemp

Post by Kemp »

Hi MelX

No, just SWB, all the other Grammars are too far away. Desborough was/is 2nd on list so that is what we we have been offered.

Kemp
Mary

catchment area

Post by Mary »

Kemp wrote:Hi MelX

No, just SWB, all the other Grammars are too far away. Desborough was/is 2nd on list so that is what we we have been offered.

Kemp

A friend of mine was given John Hampden and lived in Knowle Hill ...... best idea is to live in Marlow if you want SWB - us people who do all have to pay higher house prices and Bucks council tax to support the school so consequently places shouldn't really go to those living in Maidenhead..... harsh but true .....
njg

Post by njg »

I'm concerned that my son put SWB down as his first choice after the 12+ result comes out. I'm worried that he may not be offered a place should he pass because of our order of preference. john Hampden is his second choice and i understand there are places there but these will surely go to the children that put it as their first choice!
My daughter got her place at SWB but someone who lives on the same road but further down in Marlow didn't get in!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Bucks operate an equal preference system - they will see which schools can offer your child a place and then pass on the highest preference. I doubt you will got SWB as I seem to recall from a friend that their Y8 is so full that they were making pupils take 1 day off every 15 days to accommodate them -

As long as you live nearer to JHS than the other qualified children that have opted for this school you will get an offer -

Good luck with the 12+ - can I assume it went well?!
Meridith

Post by Meridith »

Kemp

Sorry to hear the catchment for WBGS didn't quite reach you this year but did you not consider John Hampden at all?

We also live in Maidenhead, my son is in the current year 7 along with 13 other boys from around Maidenhead and the journey is not as bad as you might think.

My son picks up an organised minibus at 7.45am and is back home for 4.20pm, times not too different from public transport to and from WBGS.

Just a thought....
Kemp

Post by Kemp »

Hi Meredith

We didn't really consider John Hampden mainly because of the distance and the fact that friendship groups would mainly be in Wycombe area. (I couldn't face Handey Cross any more than necessary).

Kemp