Are there changes planned for the 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jabba7

Are there changes planned for the 11+

Post by jabba7 »

My DS's 11+ tutor has mentioned that she has heard a rumour that the 11+ is changing from Sep 2012 to a test that cannot be tutored, has anyone else heard anything on this?

Many thanks
Sally-Anne

Re: Are there changes planned for the 11+

Post by Sally-Anne »

In brief, because I am really busy, this link might get you started (it was down a few moments ago): http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/moderngov/Pub ... Public.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It goes back to a report on the impact of coaching from a year or so ago. Obviously BCC are concerned about the issue, but there are no firm plans at all.

Other regulars may have time to post more background.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Thanks for posting that, Sally-Anne. I also have an interest in this subject .... :roll:

It all looks a bit vague at the moment, with the issue having apparently been passed up the line for discussion higher up. I doubt we'll find out what happens in the hallowed halls of the "Senior Management Board" and the "Leadership Group" until their conclusions are presented to the Admissions Forum. Even then it could take some time for a decision to be reached and a new system set in place, so it looks as though we'll just have to sit tight and see what emerges.
Marylou
pippi

Post by pippi »

You can get the Senior Management Board / Leadership Group minutes via Freedom of Information.

Eg From the Jan 2011 meeting:
• The Office of the Schools Adjudicator had challenged the LA to increase coaching in schools.
• Legal advice had been sought and proposed the LA to have an open debate with formally minuted notes, then to come to a decision having considered all aspects of the debate. This would draw a line on the issue.
• It would be difficult to have this debate without holding a debate on the selection system in place in Buckinghamshire.
• Other methods of testing should be researched.

And from Feb 2011:
• Officer/Professional dialogue for council process/coaching
• Statement to be agreed by council and schools on coaching policy
• Research re evidence involving HP/Professionals to address issue of equalities and BME backgrounds
• The proposal was that the Officer/HT/Professional discussion would be complete by end of May, and go to LAG in June, Cabinet end June/July.
Suet33

Post by Suet33 »

Is there a link to find these on please??? Otherwise how do we access them??
pippi

Post by pippi »

I don't think there is a link anywhere, but you can get things via freedom of information request from: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/foi/ea_Re ... DPFOI.page

I see GL Assessment (who set the Bucks VRT) have launched their "Official 11+" website and publications "To help your child get a head start in the 11+" (on the level 11+ playing field presumably). From The Official Parents' Guide:
"For your child's 11+ test result to be a true reflection of their ability, both you and your child need to be fully committed to the 11+ and motivated to give the necessary time and effort to prepare appropriately."
"Given a well-structured approach and good motivation a year gives plenty of time to cover all the essentials."
Suet33

Post by Suet33 »

Thanks Pippi

Do you also have a link for the GL page?? I can't find one dedicated to 11+
pippi

Post by pippi »

Advertising removed by a moderator.

You may like to correspond via PM.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now