Please can I come here for a quiet panic...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: Please can I come here for a quiet panic...

Post by scary mum »

It varies - but there seem to be about 5 types where he is more likely to get them wrong: number sequences, the 3 sets of bracketed numbers, finding a 3 letter word to insert and occasionally codes and the one where you have to find 2 words that don't go with the other 3. Done 3/4 Learning Lab tests and scoring 66/80 or there abouts.
scary mum
andyb

Post by andyb »

We're in the same position, DS2 can be scoring 95+ one day and barely 70 another. We have spotted those where he has most difficulty and I have told him to "best guess" rather than waste too much time. He does mark the ones he has guessed and goes back over them but rarely spots his mistakes. It was the same for DS1 so I know it's not the end of the world, although it seemed like it at the time. Codes/sequences/maths questions he must get right and we will settle for a few errors in the vocab. What's frustrating is if he scores badly he is reluctant to do another practice that week but if he scores well he is keen to do another asap - boy logic :roll: .
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I know, and I'm sure it was the same for DS1 two years ago. Five years ago I was in blissful ignorance and hadn't found this forum! I just smile, point out where he's gone wrong (eg, guessing 5 in a row but not going back to them when he as 10 mins to spare), and explain that that is why he is practicing, to get all of the mistakes out of the way in advance :D
scary mum
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Same here - must be something in the air! To be fair I haven't been too good at going over DS's practice tests with him. This gets done eventually, just not immediately after the tests. I also think he is getting into some bad habits, eg can't be bothered to write things down as it takes too long and he can do it all in his head anyway.... :roll:

Anyway we'll be getting together with his friend next week to go through their preparation packs so that might be a good opportunity for some serious technique revision.
Marylou
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

There are lots of people on here at the moment saying the same and I remember last year when I was wailing about DS scoring badly someone said it was common just before.To be honest , I just then felt we can all only do so much in terms of teaching and testing and to just take a deep breath and see what happens...what will be will be.Ds went from 21 % 2 weeks before...60 % the day before and then his raw scores showed he had achieved the same marks he always used to...70-85 %...so try not to worry..they will pull out the stops on the day :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

May I recommend a trip to rehab for virtual chocolate and a large glass of wine/cup of tea?

:D :D
Hang in there!
manicmum

Post by manicmum »

Thank you to all of you for this. I am in much the same place with my DS. He did really well early on, gets the concept and on IPS working through each type he's fine. CATs are all well within G School range VR is just on the boundry though.

We're just at the end of the 2 packs of 4 papers from Susan Daltry and with the later one's of those he's in the 60's/80 (sadly an Oct birthday so we need if I understand it correctly 74+).

We're trying to get a feel for his weakest area and so between the full papers are using an online site that does 15 question by type and gives you the time that each question takes. So far there is no real pattern. However I think I could now get a job as an IT data analyst as I've got an awesome spreadsheet that lists all the different question numbering systems and his scores in it! If there is anyone who feels qualified to take a look please PM and any help would be really welcome!!!! Would love to share this if there is a way it can be checked over and put somewhere but all the formatting with go if I just put it in a post.

Anyway the main reason for this post though was to blurt out the frustration at the forum, join in with the wine and choclate! Then get back to the papers with the DS with a smile and a "let's try again - we'll get there".

:lol: