worried!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum of five 2

worried!!!

Post by mum of five 2 »

hi, am in a dilemma... not sure what to do so pls pls advice needed.Had achat with dc teacher yesterday and she said dc is not grammar material .She is good with english but when it comes to maths she struggles.She also said her general attitude to learning is not good :( i had a talk with my dc who then got really upset and is begging me let her sit the test (her teacher thinks she will pass)bcoz she ids really good with her vocab,she has her heart set on grammar and wont even talk about anything else.I am really worried for her i have not had her tutored but have helped hewr at home with papers and she seems to be doing them really well recently . But the teacher really thinks she is only good at the papers but generally will struggle so what happens if she passes and then struggles at grammar or if she doesnt pass and i dnt appeal for her (as i have been told not to by her teacher)and then she hates me for not beleiving in her!
her teacher is saying she works at a very slow pace in school so defo will not keep up at grammar and also becoz her maths is weak. My dc has been working very hard at home with her test papers so what do i do ? also is there anyone here who has regreted sending or not sending their dcto grammar.Or anyone in a similar situation .pls pls help me am going mad :cry:
hermanmunster

Re: worried!!!

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi MoF2 - I think from your other posts that you would be better looking for some advice in Bucks - I'll move the post there.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi mof 2 - what levels is your child working at?

I have taught Maths level 3s in Year 7 at GS ... most GS set for Maths so there would be extra help. The only children who struggle are over-tutored children.
mum of five 2

Post by mum of five 2 »

Guest55 wrote:Hi mof 2 - what levels is your child working at?

I have taught Maths level 3s in Year 7 at GS ... most GS set for Maths so there would be extra help. The only children who struggle are over-tutored children.
hello guest 55. she is in the lower maths set am guessing she is in level 3 but am not sure.She is definately not over tutored because i have only done some papers with her .pls tell me how hard is grammar school because at the moment i am in two minds so confused as what to do after talking to her teacher.She just does not seem to think my dc is a grammar child,because of her maths ,and her slow nature.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

PM me which one you are thinking of because some are better at coping with a range of abilities.

If she is strong at English I would think she would be fine - let her go for it as the test is there to try to select those who will cope. Your daughter is NOT over tutored so if she qualifies she will be fine.

Sometimes Primary teachers are not correct .... especially if children are not challenged or are bored.
mum of five 2

Post by mum of five 2 »

Guest55 wrote:PM me which one you are thinking of because some are better at coping with a range of abilities.

If she is strong at English I would think she would be fine - let her go for it as the test is there to try to select those who will cope. Your daughter is NOT over tutored so if she qualifies she will be fine.

Sometimes Primary teachers are not correct .... especially if children are not challenged or are bored.
i have pmd you.
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

You sound really worried so just wanted to say go with what you and your daughter feel is right. You may always regret not giving her the chance if you listen to the teacher. Children mature at different rates and she may improve in her weaker areas later and with a different teacher or atmosphere. Also she can't be that naturally "slow" if she is tackling the papers well in time at home without too much tuition!
tanner

Post by tanner »

You being her mother , know your daughter best.when feeling low or less confident, your daughter is always going to look up to you for support and strength.if she wants to sit for gs exams,I think you should support her all the way.given the right atmosphere and with a good teacher I am sure she can thrive well in a gs .primary teachers are not always right.my 6 yr old ds was always told to be slow,less focused etc by his teacher most of his time in year 1.I always knew his teacher to be wrong.my ds found her lessons rather boring and dull.working with my ds at home and setting time limit and tiny rewards,he found the lessons quite challenging. He finished year 1 with 2 b in maths and eng.with a gr8 teacher in year 2 he is doing very well.just believe in your dd and do what you feel is right. Good luck
mum of five 2

Post by mum of five 2 »

my dd wants nothing more then to sit the test and pass .I am so glad for all the advice so pls keep it coming,she will be sitting the tests as i would hate to stop her from something she so badly wants to do .My main worry is that the teacher (who is usually quite a nice lady)has advised us against an appeal if we need it ,so not sure if we will be supported in that..but i told my daughter we will cross that bridge if we come to it.Iwas wondering if there are any good work books or websites anypne can recomend to help her with her maths,or to make it seem fun.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Once the 11+ is out of the way (and hope it goes really well for her!) there are lots of fun Maths websites.

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is quite a good place to start.

If you head up to the Maths section then there is a 'sticky' where you can find old KS2 test papers. I'd do one of those with her (there are answers) to find out what she gets stuck on, then we can help further.