How was today's paper?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

patricia

Re: How was today's paper?

Post by patricia »

Late testers also take the same test.

I have no immediate thoughts on how the system could be changed.

It would be difficult for a lone parent to find out what questions appeared, however a number of questions can be easily discovered by tutors/tuition centres tutoring many children. The question is whether those tutors would pass on that knowledge.

As the pass mark is so high any leaked material would be of assistance to late testers. Hence we have a strict policy on the forum of not divulging information.

Patricia
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

As I posted once before, because of the catchment rule in the Bucks school admissions criteria, it does not matter how many OoC children pass because if you live in catchment and your child qualifies they would be given a place first.

In fact the only children that could be disadvantaged by this would be OoC children who pass and live further away than those who somehow managed to acquire some information about the tests. But I agree, they would have to be borderlne cases for this to matter and probably wouldn't make much difference anyway.
dondon wrote:I seem to be looking at people OOC buying or renting temporarily in the area AND sitting the exam in the 2 weeks later centralised testing. All seems a bit unfair.
DonDon
Sorry DonDon, I don't imagine there are many who are in a position to rent temporarily and as for OoC buying in the area, they are quite within their right to do that, many people move to get their children into good schools.
BTW the funding from schools comes from central government therefore we are all paying our taxes to fund these schools so maybe that countyline isn't that important anyway.
Do keep in mind that funding comes from 'bums on seats' and if the OoC children did not apply to Bucks GS then they may not be the schools they are today.
patricia

Post by patricia »

those who somehow managed to acquire some information about the tests....... they would have to be borderlne cases for this to matter and probably wouldn't make much difference anyway.
I could [but will not] pass on the answers to at least 15 questions from the 1st test and a further 12 from the second. To a child that is consistently bubbling under the pass mark, knowledge of these answers would bring them into the pass range.

I am not just talking about out of county children, children who were sick on the day and moving into the area will also sit the same test.

My faith in human nature makes me believe that the majority of parents and tutors would not cheat. However the system is open to abuse, the answers to a fair amount of questions are out there to be found. We must therefore not allow parents/tutors to divulge questions on this forum.

I would still say that the system is probably the best that can be administered under the circumstances.

Patricia
dreams

Post by dreams »

jabba7 wrote:I am so fed up that as a Bucks Mum my DC are disadvantaged, the system really is disappointing.

I know I've said it before but any system that allows some students to sit an exam weeks after some pupils is a dodgy system.
In my opinion Bucks has got much better system than London or Herts for example. Children are sitting exams in their own schools, exams are in the two different days, it's only Verbal and so on. Not too stressful for 10-11 years old but enough to check their ability level. And also OoC won't get a place before all childer from Bucks get theirs. SO if your child get 121 - you don't need to care about other sneeky parents from OoC. And also there is no perfect system at all.
dondon

Post by dondon »

Dreams,

"SO if your child get 121 - you don't need to care about other sneeky parents from OoC."
Is this strictly true?

There must be some sort of "bell curve" adjustment of the scores so that the "right" number of children get 121 and above.

Is it not the case that OoC children scoring 100% will affect the skew and push some kids in catchment below 121
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Logic says dondon is correct. It is a numbers game and only a certain number of DC can pass whether in or out of catchment.

Like Patricia says I too could give lots of the difficult vocab to parents of DC who have not yet sat the test but I won't. The DC remember the obscure words not the easy ones.

I'll be honest and say I'm not sure what I would o if my child was yet to sit the test and if I knew a few tricky words that would come up for certain yes I would make sure my children knew these words as if as a parent you think GS is right for your DC you will do all you can to help them.

I work in education and assessment and there is no reason why Bucks cannot have a second equal paper for the late sitters and OOC DC.
svg123

Post by svg123 »

What is actually meant by "GS is right for your DC" ? How do we find this out?
crunchie

Post by crunchie »

I actually received a PM from a member of this forum group after the first 11+ test. I advised the forum that my DS thought the first paper was challenging. This particular member though they could PM me to find out the challenging areas on the paper/words. I was not prepared to give out any information and ignored the PM. There are some parents who are willing to go to great lengths to find out what is on the papers. The system needs changing as I believe there are a number of OOC and later takers who do know some of the words and this information can give a borderline child an 11+ pass. I would like BCC to introduce a different paper for OOC and later takers and it would then be very interesting to see the outcome of 11+ results for this paper.
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Svg123, you can judge if GS is right for your DC

1. By looking at their CAT and Sat results so far.
2. Ask your DCs head teacher and teacher if they recommend your child for GS and if they will support an appeal if needed
3. Look at results achieved in the 3 practice papers
4. Use you knowledge of your DC to work out what is right for them.

I hope this helps
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

i totally agree with you crunchie! i also got few pm 's from perants asking about the 2nd test as they heard from other ds that the was more hard and challenging. i cant believe they did this but on the other hand if i was in there shoes i might do the same thing. i did not pm them, as me doing so would give them an advantage which our children did not get .
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now