RGS JHGS SWBGS???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
munch

Re: RGS JHGS SWBGS???

Post by munch »

Thanks Old Armachain and Hasmum - Boarding isn't an option for us. I agree though that the school has to suit the child and for me RGS and JH look like schools where my son would thrive especially with the sports and CCF which he is the type for.
I also have queried why Bucks have stated that we need to put them as 1st choice to get in as this contradicts the LA advice-that schools do not know where you've put them. Unfortunately I have just had incomprehensible responses back and this did leave me wondering whether the LA was actually correct. The system is quite difficult to get your head around when you are doing this for the first time without discrepancies along the way!
DS is very good on VR and this is why we are trying the Bucks schools. I don't relish 40 mins minimum on the motorway and have no idea how I would get my younger DD to her local primary at the same time if he did get in so it would have to mean a move to Bucks. A move was planned at the secondary school stage anyway but there is no way we would be in a position to have done this by the 11 Nov deadline. Does anyone know what would happen if:
DS passed but didn't get in due to distance, but then we later move to Bucks-would this mean we would be reconsidered with our new address?
DS passed but didn't get into our Bucks choices on CAF-would any remaining schools which we did not list on CAF consider taking him? Or is it the case that because we OOC Bucks LA isn't obliged to place us in any other Bucks schools that may be in a position to offer?
DS takes the exams this week and I just hope it doesn't turn out a waste of time!! I guess I am just hoping for another 'blip' year. RGS mentioned one of a number of reasons why they had been undersubscribed and this was that parents were just not feeling like they wanted to go through the 11+ jungle--however I find that very hard to believe given the numbers enrolled at my DS's tuition centre, but then that's all I know-I don't live in Bucks to know how many parents choose not to take the 11+ via their primaries. Also, RGS said that 30-33% score the pass mark-this doesn't sound like an awful high number so how are they all full from catchment? Or am I missing something?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

munch wrote:I also have queried why Bucks have stated that we need to put them as 1st choice to get in as this contradicts the LA advice-that schools do not know where you've put them.
The schools definitely do not know where you have placed them on the form - and that is doubly true in Bucks becuase the admissions process is entirely handled centrally; the schools have no involvment in it at all.

What their statement means is this: Let's say that your preference is for RGS, but your DS is also taking the Tiffin test, and your DS qualifies in both. If you have put Tiffin in first place on the CAF, that is what you will be given if your DS meets the admissions criteria. If RGS was your real preference then your only hope would be to go on the waiting list. The same rules apply everywhere - put the schools in your real order of preference (and make sure that at least one of the preferences is both acceptable and achievable).
There is no way we would be in a position to have done this by the 11 Nov deadline. Does anyone know what would happen if:
DS passed but didn't get in due to distance, but then we later move to Bucks-would this mean we would be reconsidered with our new address?
The 11+ pass is valid for one year from the date of testing, so essentially until the start of the September term, give or take.

If you move after the deadline of 11th November your application will not be considered in the first round of allocations on 1st March, but only in the second round 5 - 6 weeks later or once you have moved to Bucks, if that is later. Once your name is put in the "pot" you would either be allocated a place if one is available at one of your preference schools, or placed on the waiting list in accordance with the admissions criteria, which would essentially only be distance by that stage.
DS passed but didn't get into our Bucks choices on CAF-would any remaining schools which we did not list on CAF consider taking him? Or is it the case that because we OOC Bucks LA isn't obliged to place us in any other Bucks schools that may be in a position to offer?
He would be offered a place at any Bucks GS that has a vacant place for him, but once again, only in the second round of allocations. In past years when RGS has been over-subscribed that would have been Chesham Grammar School. CGS is usually All Offered with some vacant places, not because it is an inferior school, but because it is right on the county border and it shares its catchment with the two very popular Challoners schools.
I don't live in Bucks to know how many parents choose not to take the 11+ via their primaries.
Around 15% out of a total cohort of 8,500-ish. Some will be moving away (RAF children among them) and others will simply not be putting their child through the test, opting instead for a Bucks Upper School or an out-of-county school.
Also, RGS said that 30-33% score the pass mark-this doesn't sound like an awful high number so how are they all full from catchment? Or am I missing something?
The qualification rate is almost exactly 30% each year, but that includes around 1600 OoC children. Within Bucks itself the qualification rate is around 25% each year.
munch

Post by munch »

Thank you Sally-Anne, that was really helpful for me. It also answers why we have been advised that Chesham is one to try for as it takes out of county regularly. DS and I have heart set on RGS/JH so now all I have to decide is whether to put them before Tiffin who have no catchment at all. Still not sure why the Bucks schools say we have to put them first if they aren't told the ranking?
Also, assuming DS gets through and we are offered a place at JH/RGS, can anybody recommend good areas to move to? I am not familiar with Bucks at all. Preference would be quieter areas away from the main towns.
Many thanks.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Munch - you will only be offered ONE school - that is the school highest on your CAF that can offer your child a place. You need to put the schools that you want at the top - then any you don't qualify for are ignored.

Your home LA receives the offers and selects your highest preference school.

You need to drive around and look at the places where you might want to live - what suits one of us may not be to your taste.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

munch wrote:Still not sure why the Bucks schools say we have to put them first if they aren't told the ranking?
What they are trying to tell you is that if you have set your heart on a Bucks GS, then it should be your first preference.

Each year there are parents who do strange things that lead to heartache. As an example, if the best alternative to not qualifying for GS is a very popular and over-subscribed Bucks Upper School, the parent might decide to put it in first place out of fear of not getting a place if they put it lower down. They then put the GS in second place.

When their child qualifies they are shocked to be allocated the US instead, simply because that is what the Admissions team believe that they wanted. Admissions do try to weed these cases out, but people do fall for urban myths like this.
now all I have to decide is whether to put them before Tiffin who have no catchment at all
It depends on whether you prefer Tiffin. If you do, put it first. If he qualifies on score, that is what you will be allocated. If he doesn't qualify for Tiffin but qualifies in Bucks, Tiffin drops off your list and the Bucks GS in 2nd place becomes your new "first" preference.

However, if your real preference all along was for a Bucks GS, by listing Tiffin above it you risk not getting the Bucks place if he qualifies for Tiffin. The same would apply if, for example, you listed an Oxfordshire comp ahead of a Bucks GS. Even if he qualified in Bucks you would be allocated the Oxfordshire comp because that is what the Admissions team believe you want.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, always put the schools in your real order of preference.
MelW

Post by MelW »

Munch,

Can I also just add that we moved before my DC sat the exam which was all great and we got a place at our catchment GS however getting my younger child into a half decent primary school outside of the normal allocation round (i.e Reception) was VERY VERY difficult. It's just something else you might want to add to the mix if you have younger children. It was almost as stressful as the 11+ and in the end I had to go to an appeal to get a place.
munch

Post by munch »

Thanks to all.

Sally-Anne-I get it!

MelW-pleased you were sorted in the end and you make a valid point-my younger DD is currently in Y4 but is definitely not keen to move to Bucks 'for older brother's sake'-finding a good primary for Y5-6 will be yet another headache if DS gets a Bucks school! Wish the next 6 months could be fast-forwarded!
munch

Post by munch »

However, if your real preference all along was for a Bucks GS, by listing Tiffin above it you risk not getting the Bucks place if he qualifies for Tiffin.

Sally-Anne-I forgot to add that Tiffin was only 1st as meant we wouldn't need to move and DD can stay at her current primary.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

munch wrote:Sally-Anne-I forgot to add that Tiffin was only 1st as meant we wouldn't need to move and DD can stay at her current primary.
Yes, I think I picked up on that from one of your other posts.

Tiffin is of course far more fiercely contested than Bucks - around a 1 in 10 chance of success instead of 3 in 10 in Bucks.

I have sent you a PM (Private Message). To retrieve it go to the top LH of the page and click where it says "You have 1 new message".

S-A
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now