Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:06 pm 

This report relates to testing arrangements for years 11/12 and 12/13:
http://democracy.buckscc.gov.uk/Published/IssueDocs/5/2/9/3/I00023925/$DLES2711Report.doc.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:41 pm 

Oh no change is coming it seems.

For the next two years only, what will happen to all our little ones who are now in year 4 and earlier? I thought having gone through this awful process I had a least learnt something of use for my younger DCs!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:49 pm 

jabba7 wrote:
For the next two years only
Or, for at least two years. (Glass half full, jabba. :D )I am not convinced that anyone really wants to see the 11+ selection process become fragmented.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:57 pm 

Quote:
This will mitigate against significant disruption
I do wish reports could be written in correct English!

To mitigate
To militate against

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011 ... -militate/

< Gets down from high horse, allowing others to focus on the main issues ....... :) >

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:58 pm 

Sally-Anne wrote:
jabba7 wrote:
For the next two years only
Or, for at least two years. (Glass half full, jabba. :D )I am not convinced that anyone really wants to see the 11+ selection process become fragmented.

You only have to look at Northern Ireland to see what happens when a selective system is scrapped without making proper arrangements for a replacement...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:02 pm 

Etienne wrote:
Quote:
This will mitigate against significant disruption
I do wish reports could be written in correct English!

To mitigate
To militate against

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011 ... -militate/

< Gets down from high horse, allowing others to focus on the main issues ....... :) >

The whole thing is very badly written - I gave up picking out mistakes after a while. :?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:08 pm 

Marylou wrote:
The whole thing is very badly written - I gave up picking out mistakes after a while. :?

I got as far as mitigate against, and lost the will to continue ...... :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:19 pm 

I expect that after the next 2 years, much will depend on the attitude of the GSs themselves. If they all want to keep the current system, it will presumbly survive. If one or more of them break rank - eg by changing the tie-breaker to "highest score" rather than "distance" - then would it be possible to keep a unified Bucks-wide system going? I know some schools already have "highest score" criteria at 12+ but I think County still operates that system, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:30 pm 

newbucksdad wrote:
I expect that after the next 2 years, much will depend on the attitude of the GSs themselves. If they all want to keep the current system, it will presumbly survive. If one or more of them break rank - eg by changing the tie-breaker to "highest score" rather than "distance" - then would it be possible to keep a unified Bucks-wide system going?
I think that most, and possibly all of the schools are committed to maintaining the present system.

However it does remain a worry. If a few schools changed their admission rules to "highest score" in future, it would conceivably result in a "three tier system", such as that in Kent, with super-selectives, selectives and others. The end result would be a lot of kids being bussed around the county (potentially at a price, of course!) for no good reason.

Quote:
I know some schools already have "highest score" criteria at 12+ but I think County still operates that system, doesn't it?
RGS and DCGS run their own admissions at 12+ and beyond and allocate on score. BCC as a whole still allocates according to qualification and then (primarily) catchment and distance.

It is worth pointing out, because it hasn't been mentioned recently, that distances will be "straight line measurement" for admissions from September 2013.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:59 pm 

Sally-Anne wrote:
I think that most, and possibly all of the schools are committed to maintaining the present system.
You mean most of the Grammar Schools presumably?