High wycombe crime rates!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jenny wren

High wycombe crime rates!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by jenny wren »

Hi to you all in Buckinghamshire.
In the last few days we have been considering moving to your neck of the woods because you seem to have a good number of grammar schools. However when I went on the website UPMYSTREET the conversation was - racial unrest, high crime rates, bad housing estates and poor performing schools!!!!! Please, please tell me something good. Is it best to live in the villages? Is it safe for the children to meet up in the evening to go to the cinema for e.g.?

Jenny :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Jenny

At the risk of provoking a huge storm of protest from the residents of High Wycombe ... Wycombe does have its problems. It is a very mixed community in terms of both wealth and race. However, I wouldn't think that the crime rate is any worse than many parts of London.

There is a presumption that leafy Bucks must all be very genteel and Gerrards Cross, but it isn't! There are places like Gerrards Cross and Beaconsfield that are predominantly middle-class, but the rest of South Bucks is more varied.

There are some lovely towns and villages, so why not come out here and take a look around? Most of the natives are really quite friendly! :D

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Like many towns, it just depends which part of Wycombe you are living in. There are plenty of leafy pleasant streets or you could opt for village life. All depends what you are after. I have happily lived in Wycombe all my life and ended my secondary school education at John Hampden Grammar School in the town. A great experience.
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

Thank you

Mr Jenny Wren and I coming to visit.

Regards
Jenny :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

You will be most welcome. Study those catchment area maps very carefully though Jenny. (On Bucks CC website if you haven't seen them already.)

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Agree with Sally Anne. May sure you know what options are open to you if your child fails the 11+. Some good secondaries exist (ie The Chalfonts) but also plenty of dire ones.
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

Thanks
Anonymous wrote: but also plenty of dire ones.
As I have seen from the league tables :cry:

Jenny
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The league tables merely reflect the intake e.g. Waddesdon gets pupils who reach 11+ qualifying and decide to go there as they live locally. The Chalfonts catchment is very middle class, ditto Misbourne.

Quite a few Uppers outperform Oxfordshire comprehensives!!

Post by Guest »

Don't totally agree. Beaconsfield Secondary School only gets half the number of pupils through their 5 GCSE's with a similar catchment make up to The Chalfonts. It is worth bearing in mind if you live in very middle class Beaconsfield.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes but the attainment on entry of Chalfonts is much higher than Beaonsfield so they are not on a level playing field.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now