DD vs DS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sturman

DD vs DS

Post by sturman »

Hi all

Is there anyone who knows[I'm sure there is] what the differences [if any] between boys and girls passing the 11+ in Bucks are? Me and OH have differing opinions.

Thanks

Sturman
Sally-Anne

Re: DD vs DS

Post by Sally-Anne »

I hope this is detailed enough for you, sturman. :D

Code: Select all

Year	Boys	Girls
2005	31%	29%
2006	30%	28%
2007	31%	28%
2008	30%	30%
2009	32%	29%
2010	31%	31%
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

That is really interesting. I assumed because of the high vocabulary content of the VR tests and the fact that girls appear to read more, that a higher percentage of girls would qualify than boys.

Just goes to show!
andyb

Post by andyb »

faitaccompli wrote:That is really interesting. I assumed because of the high vocabulary content of the VR tests and the fact that girls appear to read more, that a higher percentage of girls would qualify than boys.

Just goes to show!
Maybe it balances out because boys are often stronger at the Maths type problems so what they lose on vocab they gain on sequences/missing number/codes etc? Both DS's scored marginally higher on the papers where there were more number questions than word questions.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

andyb wrote:Maybe it balances out because boys are often stronger at the Maths type problems so what they lose on vocab they gain on sequences/missing number/codes etc? Both DS's scored marginally higher on the papers where there were more number questions than word questions.
Unfortunately that doesn't explain it, andy, because the codes, maths, etc, are usually evenly balanced across both papers and vocabulary/word questions usually account for at least 50% of the questions on each paper.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Perhaps these boys are better at vocab than they let on ... as Sherlock Holmes says "... when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" :wink:

Let's hope so, with having two DS' to go through the 11+ !!! :shock:
Heartmum x x x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now