Out of their depths?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sbates

Out of their depths?

Post by sbates »

Hello, I am new to this forum and have been really interested in the some of the topics posted, particularly relating to the appeals. My son is taking his 11plus this year, so I am already looking to what I can do if he doesn't make the grade. But it has got me thinking, what are your thoughts regarding the opinions "grammars are very academic, don't put him in unless he can keep up". If a child is borderline, am I doing the right thing pushing to get him to pass, or should I let nature take its course? Many people keep reminding me how academic the grammars are and how miserable boys are if they can't make the grade. My boy is very strong in science and maths (5cs at end of year 4) but weak in writing (currently a 4a) He also plays violin and bass and an outstanding sports person (g & T). Hopefully you can see why grammar might suit but also why I worry he will struggle with writing. Any comments? :?
Etienne

Re: Out of their depths?

Post by Etienne »

I wouldn't rule out grammar school when your son has real strengths in other academic areas such as maths/science.

Besides, it looks as if he's on target for a 5c in writing - there will be some boys at grammar school who haven't achieved that!

My advice would be to keep your options open. :)
Etienne
andyb

Post by andyb »

Hi sbates

Don't worry! DS1 sounds very much like your DS. His SATs for Maths and Science were high 5's and he was G&T for Maths, however for English he got 4a (4b for writing and 5b for reading - I was concerned so I asked for the breakdown). I was worried that his writing wasn't up to scratch but his primary school teachers said not to worry as they were surprised that a boy who read so widely and had excellent vocabulary could get a relatively low score for the writing part of the SATs paper.

He is at GS and I think being in an all boys environment has helped enormously - writing is no longer seen as girly and the teachers tune in to the way boys' minds work and pick subjects that interest them. At his first Y7 parents evening the English teacher sang his praises and he has gone from strength to strength (he's now Y9). He still dislikes writing and actual pen and paper writing is tortuous but a lot of his homework and extended tasks can be typed so he does that. The standard of his written work is very impressive (not that I'm biased :wink: ).

If your DS "makes the grade" then his written English should not be an issue. Many boys hate writing and are significantly stronger at Maths and Science - the schools know this and tailor the learning accordingly.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I agree with andyb - as a GS teacher some boys are stronger in Maths and Science.

Grammar schools do vary - some are much better than others at supporting pupils. I do know some boys with level 4 En (level 3 writing & level 5 reading) who have coped very well.

I would not rule out mixed Grammar schools though - they suit some boys better.
sbates

Post by sbates »

Thanks, that's good food for thought. Its great to get feedback from other parents and where their boys are at. Its just not the done thing to compare scores at my son's school. I've no idea how he stands with his peers. And I hadn't considered how a single sex school might "tune in" to a boy's way of thinking.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now